Friday, May 2, 2008

Back where I come from....

that's where I'll be when it's said and done... Thanks to my friend, David I've managed to get a few pictures up on the blog. He is a computer geek - I mean genius, and provided his patience holds out (I'm not a quick study) and he still wants to be friends I should have some more uploaded soon. (Love ya buddy!) Okay, first things first. Why the name 'Hillbilly Debutante?' Someone once told me that I looked like a debutante until I started talking and then I sounded like a hillbilly. I took that as quite a compliment (the hillbilly part, that is). I am one and proud of it. I lived the early part of my life near the Missouri/Arkansas line. Just a little bit of trivia for ya - that's where the "Beverly Hillbillies" were from, you know. Yes I am proud of that. Anyway, in grade school we moved a little north of Springfield where my grandparents lived - El Dorado Springs, Missouri. Population 3300 in 1972. The above picture is Main Street from the 1920's. The picture below is a recent picture of our city park. I stole this from the city website - I hope they don't mind. Or if you do mind just let my Mama know and she can call me. Then I can give David a call and ask "How the heck do we get this picture off a here?"


I loved growing up here. We lived on a small farm in the country near my grandparents. Just far enough out that I could have horses and my Dad and Grandad raised cattle. But also close enough in that I could ride my bike to the pool everyday. I had the best childhood. Every day I rode my horses. I remember riding through our property and marvelling in the sweet smells of the trees and flowers. I can still close my eyes and hear the call of the bobwhites and the going to sleep to the sounds of a whipoorwill on a still summer night. I loved to spend the night at my grandmothers and watch the curtain sway in the breeze in her upstairs attic bedroom. I loved the fact that I knew everything about everyone and they knew everything about me. El Dorado Springs was (and still is) my corner of the world where I felt safe, secure and free to be me. I vowed to never leave. I would marry a cowboy. He would stay and work the farm and I'd get a job in town. We'd have cattle and horses and dogs and children and live happily ever after. Well, to make a long story short I did marry the cowboy. We have the children, a few dogs, a horse BUT we live in the Washington DC metro area because of cattle - confused yet? We were originally brought to the area because my husband was, at the time, a lobbyist for the National Cattlemen's Beef Association. We have lived here for almost 7 years and you'd think I'd be good at the city life by now - NOT!! Anyway, looks like I'm not going anywhere. I can either sit here and pout about or I can turn it into an adventure! I am who I am and I ain't gonna change - but neither are these city slickers. So, let's have fun with it! Thus "Hillbilly Debutante - Musings of a Country Girl Stuck in the City" has been created. Come along on my journey and laugh with me! Cry with me! Just be thankful you don't have to get stuck in this awful traffic with me!!!

No comments: