Sunday, July 13, 2008

This is one of the happiest days of my life...

What a great weekend!! I have great news. This is right up there with the day I got married and the day my children were born. Something happened that I have been praying and wanting for 14 years. Over 14 years, actually. On Saturday night, July 12, 2008, my precious son, William Bishop Truitt, was baptized. My little boy, William

William, no longer my little boy, but a man of God


(Not only did he turn his life over to Jesus on this night, but he was baptized by both of his grandfather's. Jay's dad is on the left, and my Dad and Will's namesake is on the right. What a precious memory he will have to carry with him for the rest of his life.)

Each year, Will goes to his grandparents for the summer. I got a call Saturday night. It was him telling me that he wanted to be baptized. I stayed calm, but I was so happy inside that when I hung up I cried tears of joy.

When I was pregnant with my babies, I prayed from the moment I found out about them, that they would grow up to be faithful followers of God. When Rachael was 7 weeks old I immediately put her in Bible Class. The teacher gave me a blank look as if to say 'what do I do with her'. I assured her that everything would be fine, that subconciously Rachael would absorb all the lessons that she was teaching the 2 and 3 year olds. A lot of people thought I was silly, but sure enough at 6 months we were riding down the road with her in the car seat screaming to beat the band. Not knowing what else to do, I thought I'd distract her by singing "Roll the Gospel Chariot". She immediately stopped crying and started doing the hand motions. At 6 months old! We did the same thing with our sweet William when he was a baby, and he, too knew every word to every hymn and gospel tune by the time he was a year old. Both my children always loved going to church, too.
The Bible says 'train up a child in the way that he should go and when he gets older he will not depart from it' (Proverbs 22:6)
I say start from the minute they are born.





2 comments:

Lisa Ann said...

PTL with you!

David said...

Congratulations!! Steph and I were thrilled to hear the news about William. We know you and Jay must be very proud. I think it's important that you know that the son you are raising is a tribute to his parents. God bless you all. Your mom told me about your blog and since I'm always looking for good bulletin material, I'll be checking in from time to time. I'd also like to know about this book you're writing. Take care.