Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Focus on ME.....

The following is a true story that happened to my dear friend Priscilla Roberts earlier this summer. Please take the time to read this. It's important. Freedom is alive and well because of people like the young soldier I'm fixin' to tell ya' about.

It gets hot in the middle of June in Florida, where Priscilla and her husband were attending a wedding. Like most weddings, nowdays, there were lots of events leading up to the big day. Showers, rehearsal dinners, various get-togethers.

Priscilla noticed that at every single dinner, golf game, or reception there was a young man, who regardless of the stifling heat and humidity, was always dressed in his military uniform. He always remained along the outer fringes, sort of participating but never giving anything his complete attention. Even when carrying on a conversation, his eyes were always moving around, scouting the area, maintaining awareness of his surroundings.

Finally, someone asked him why he didn't just relax and have fun. After all, he was on leave, it was too hot to be wearing that uniform all the time, and besides, they teased, you're on vacation!

"Because I want the focus on me," he said. "When I'm traveling I know that my uniform will attract the attention of a potential terrorist. Then they will focus on me. If I'm at a football game, on a plane, on a boat, they'll focus on me. I took an oath to protect America and her people. I want those who want to destroy her to focus on me."
From the Revolutionary War to Iraq, our freedom has come at a price. God has blessed our country tremendously and he's done it through the brave men and women who throughout the ages, have stood up to our enemies and defended us at all costs. At. All. Costs.
Today, let's focus on all of our veterans. And to anyone who has ever waited, patiently, anxiously for their loved one at war or overseas to come home safely.
From the bottom of a very grateful heart, I thank every one of you who has either served, is still serving, or has/had a loved one serve or fight for these united States.
Words cannot express how I feel about this country - my country. I know freedom doesn't come free and I am so very thankful for all that you have done for me.
God Bless America, Her soldiers, and Her people!
Today I will focus on my own special veterans:

Private Amariah Pharis, Longstreet Company "B" NJ Regiment - American Revolution

Bill Bishop - USS Duncan, US Navy - Vietnam War

Walter Truitt - Korean War

Ronnie Huckaby - USMC

Alan Huckaby - USMC

Les Huckaby - US Army - Vietnam War

Michael Murphy - United States Air Force (retired)

Jay Hayden Truitt, US Air Force (my favorite veteran!)

*(By the way, Priscilla Roberts is married to Major General James Milnor "Milne" Roberts, who participated in the landing at Omaha Beach on June 6th, 1944. (Please go to his website ddaywarrior.com).

General and Mrs. Roberts

Feel to free to post a comment if you'd like to reflect or share......

5 comments:

Trish said...

That story brought tears to my eyes. The people standing in the streets with their big anti-war signs and posters ought to realize that if not for men like you've just mentioned they would not have such rights! I can get down right mad when I think about that!

Lisa Ann said...

You have an award waiting for you at my blog.

whimsydaisy said...

What a story. Thank you for sharing it. I'm so grateful for the men and women who serve/served our country.

Wife of a "Once a Marine, always a Marine!"

The Vintage Housewife... said...

oh be still my heart! what an amazing story this kitten is so proud of our military...every vintage gal knows that our country is free because of them and their families sacrafice....thanks for the story...

now on being neighbors...what fun would that be...its so funny that you say that...that is how one of my very best friends and i became wonderful sisters...{warm pie happy home}...you totally would fit right in...we welcome you hillbilly debutante!!!!! that would be great!!!!! thanks for the sweet comments!!! cat

Richard said...

I just wanted to let you know that I love your blog, and I will be adding it to my society list when I update it this week. Keep up the good work!