Wednesday, December 24, 2008

My Wish For You...

For every person that enjoys the magic of the holiday season; the hustle and bustle of the crowds, the parties, the laughter, the lights!, there are at least 3 more whose hearts and souls are bruised and hurting.

For so many across our country, especially right now, Christmas is a slap-in-the face reminder that they have lost their home to foreclosure, their jobs to a poor economy, or perhaps failing health (with possibly no insurance). Or worse yet, they're facing the holiday season without their loved one(s), whether it's because of death, the war, divorce or separation. If you're feeling sad, hopeless, desperate or scared, then my dear friend this is my Christmas wish for you:


If I could be with you now, I would insist that you sit down. Right there in my favorite chair.
See that blanket? Well, honey, I'd just insist that you take off your shoes, put your feet up and wrap up tight in that blanket. Now, you'd be all comfy and cozy while I would go to the kitchen and bring you back a nice, hot cup of chocolate


bubbling over with big, fat, fluffy marshmallows. Then I'd fill your tummy with my favorite frosted, star-shaped sugar cookies.


Since that's not possible here's what I'll do. Tonight, I will have three special candles on my table as a centerpiece.


One will be lit for those who are knowing economic hardships. (I don't know of any community that hasn't been affected by the economy.) The other will be lit for those who are serving our country - yes, our military, but also our Senators, Congressmen, and, of course our new President. The third candle will be in honor of lost loved ones.

After the candles are lit, we will clasp hands and lift each and everyone of you up to our Heavenly Father. The One who can be there with you. The One who will be there with you. And while I may not know you personally, He knows your every need.



At church we sing this song that goes "My Jesus knows just what I need. He satisfies and every need supplies. He knows just what I need."

Truer words have never been spoken (or sung).

I know what it is like to watch things fall apart and you scramble around like crazy trying to fix it, or trying to come up with the answers on your own. Sometimes there are no obvious answers and we need to just take a step back. Or better yet, just be still. As a matter of fact, the older I get, the more I understand the importance of Psalm 46:10


It is in these times of stillness that I am then able to reflect on what is truly important in my life.


This Christmas I thank God for the important blessings in my life. My family and my friends.

I hope that this Christmas season you not only find peace in your heart but you are able to realize your blessings, regardless of your circumstances.


Merry Christmas to all and to all a Good Night!

1 comment:

The Vintage Kitten said...

Beautiful post. It certainly makes you think how lucky we are when others are not as fortunate. The economic climate in the UK is very unstable and alot of people have lost their jobs in recent weeks. X