Thursday, December 18, 2008

Please wish me a "Merry Christmas"


I really miss hearing those two sweet little words. We only have the opportunity to hear them or speak them a few weeks out of the year and now that our world is trying to be more 'politically correct' I'm finding that "Merry Christmas" is practically extinct. As a matter-of-fact, I haven't had anyone (yet) this year wish me a "Merry Christmas." Instead, I hear a lot of this....
which is okay. I know people mean well. But still... I love hearing "Merry Christmas!"

Have you ever noticed that it is impossible to say "MERRY CHRISTMAS" without smiling? Go ahead and try it - I dare you!!! See? You can't help but give a bit toothy grin, huh?

Growing up in my charming, storybook little town in the Missouri Ozarks we had absolutely no religious diversity. If you didn't go to the Baptist Church, Methodist, Holiness or Church of Christ, then you went to the Catholic Church. In Columbus (Mississippi) it was pretty much the same although my boss, Mr. Bernstein, affectionately known as Mr. B, was Jewish. He was such a sweet character - we all loved him. And he never, ever hesitated to wish us a Merry Christmas.

Here in the Nation's Capital our family has been exposed to plenty of diversity. Everything I had to learn about different cultures in my adult life will be second nature to my children and I'm grateful for that. They are learning sensitivity and political correctness at an early age.

Me? This may surprise you, but I've not really had any awkward moments in that regard. I've come to find that if you ask questions in a polite, unobtrusive manner people are more than willing to talkwith you about their beliefs and customs. Most of the time they appreciate your interest and the fact that they are getting the opportunity to share.


So, when exactly did "Merry Christmas" start being replaced with "Happy Holidays" and how do we bring it back? When I know that an acquaintance or co-worker celebrates a holiday such as Ramadan or Hanakuh I always make sure I acknowledge that particular holiday to them and let them know I'm thinking of them.

It's hard to recognize who celebrates what so I think that in being afraid to offend someone our nation (mostly city people) has gotten into the habit of taking the 'safe' route. However, I've asked my Jewish, Muslim and atheist friends if they are offended when someone 'accidentally' wishes them a "Merry Christmas." I have yet to find anyone who has said yes to that question.
And while I know the Good Book doesn't say that December 25th is Jesus' actual birthday, I still like to commemorate it as such. After all, if He hadn't been born, we couldn't have celebrated His death. For our family and so many other Christians around the nation and our world, Jesus is the reason for the season.
So, please, will someone wish me a "Merry Christmas"?

And I wish the same for you!

7 comments:

Lisa Ann said...

Have a very Merry Christmas!!!!

Gracie Beth said...

Merry Christmas! My mother was very adamant that the cards she sent out this year said Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays.

GrannySmithGreen said...

MERRY, MERRY CHRISTMAS! I just found your blog and am enjoying it already. I hope that you and your family have a wonderful joy filled CHRISTMAS!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy. Merry X-mas from the soldier that sat next to you....

Kathie Truitt said...

Dear Airplane Soldier,

You have a Merry Christmas! It was so nice meeting you.

A very big "THANK YOU" for all that you do for us.

Kathie

Kelly said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family! I have responded to everyones *happy holidays* with a smiling MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! And they look at me almost as if to say they wish they would have said it that way :)