Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Changes....

Happy New Year!

For those of you have followed Hillbilly Debutante since its inception, you know that my main intention was to simplify my life. So, I decided to live the country life in the city, and document it - thus Hillbilly Debutante..And you might remember (much to my honey's dismay) that I sold the high-falutin' Mercedes and the fancy schmancy Expedition, and bought a beat-up vintage suburban and named her 'Dixie.' We transformed our home into the flea-market, shabby-chic, cottage style. I also started filling my closet with vintage clothes. I cut my hair way short (less styling time). I started wearing less makeup. However that one didn't work out too well - I still have to get all painted up and powdered up (baby steps, Kathie, baby steps)
Anyway.....


After spending 10 days here, I got to thinkin' that I could still do more to de-stress.


So, the first thing I did was to end my commute. Yessirree, Bob. As soon as I got back from sailing I started looking for a job closer to home. I found one within a few weeks. (thank you, God!)

So, I can finally say bye-bye to this:


DC traffic and I have always had a volatile relationship, so it was really time for us to part ways. Besides, I'm breakin' my cussin' habit this year and the only way I can stop that is to cut back on my traffic time. Mission accomplished. The traffic, not the cussin' (yet.)

I'm not going to waste any more time pouting. Life is waay too short to be unhappy. Since I can't just zip out of the city limits whenever I want, I'll do the next best thing. What's the 'next best thing?' Glad you asked.---TA DA! It's Cracker Barrel, of course. I LOVE THIS PLACE! This is a hillbilly girl's version of Disney Land - did you know that?





Why, it's the mixture of the atmosphere...along with the fact the vittles taste almost as good as Grandma's kitchen. And it's the only place I can get my favorite meal....




Fried chicken livers, mashed potatoes and gravy, and fried okra. I know, I know, you're probably one of those hoity toity folks that don't cotton to chicken livers. Fine. There's more for me. Go eat your tofu.(Hmphh)


Look at my arms. Poor things. They look so lonely, don't they? They are ready to rock a new generation.



I promise to decorate my house for every season. I used to do that and then got away from it. Take this house above, for instance. Isn't that adorable? Every season, the lady of this house decorates her porch. Although it's about 20 miles from my house, sometimes I just hop in the car and drive by just because it makes me smile. I wonder if she has any idea how much joy her time and effort bring to a complete stranger. And probably not to just me - but a lot of people. I like to imagine she's inside baking an apple pie for her family. Not a store bought frozen one. But a real one where she's peeling the apple and making her own crust. Mmm-hmmm. I'll bet she even wears a pretty apron, too!

I'm going to go out and party more - woo-ho0! At least once a month. I'm gonna drink Diet Coke all night, listen to loud music, and stay up at least til 10:00!! No, seriously, I AM going to start going out more. I haven't done that in ages.

I already got a jump start on that one, by the way. On New Year's Eve I put on my boogie shoes and went with Dino and Rachael (SIL and Daughter) to Dino's restaurant in Arlington. It's called 'Yaku.'





The music was great and the food was wonderful. (My boys were out of town visiting Honey's parents). At the stroke of midnight everyone around me was kissing that special someone. Then again, by the stroke of midnight some of them were too far gone to know (or care) who they were kissing. It's moments like that when I'm glad I'm only a diet Coke drinker, ya know?

The D.J. started playing the music to "Auld Lang Syne" and the crowd took it's cue and sang along. I watched with tears in my eyes, happy for the blessing of the past year, and a heart excited with anticipation with the blessings of a New Year. A New Beginning

So, here it is. January 2009. 2008 was a great year. Who ever dreamed that one trip to Tortola, would prompt me to rethink my life and make drastic life-altering changes. Some of the changes were 'on purpose.' Finding a job so close to home so I can dedicate my life to being a homemaker first and foremost. A writer second. I lost the first 20 pounds. Now I'll get rid of the last 20. And of course a change most special. One that wasn't planned but is so very, very special. One that is so hard to wait for!!

I love you little peapod. You don't even know who I am but I know you and I've waited a lifetime for you to come along. Be patient, grow big and strong and I'll see you in August. Grandma loves you very, very much.

12 comments:

Kate said...

DC traffic is the worst I have ever been in. Hands down!

So exciting about your future grandchild. Congrats!

Lisa Ann said...

Oh honey that DC traffic would make me cuss like a sailor. Congrats on the grand baby! My sis is due in July and I can't wait!
Love Cracker Barrel! We usually go on Friday's for the fish fry. I love their store to.

Kristina said...

I love your Cracker Barrell comment...so true! Great blog, and congratulations on the grand baby!

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

I love Cracker Barrel...breakfast is my favorite...anytime of day! I'm with you on the simplifying question. As soon as our daughter gets through college and settles down in the great big world, we'll sell our house, I hope and move to something smaller with a smaller yard! The house isn't so bad to handle but the YARD...

Gracie Beth said...

Congrats again on the grand baby! I love your house! Oh, and I blame the weather on global warming...jk.

Coffee with Cathy said...

Good luck with your resolutions. Sounds as if you've got a great start on 2009 -- and it will be one of your best years ever when your grandchild arrives! Thanks so much for sharing.

XoXo Meg! said...

Yay! Great post sweetie...no more Benz, huh? Cool! I love Cracker Barrel! Here's to your new year and new grandbaby!!!

Hugs!

Barb said...

Congrats on the grandbaby I have a 2 year old grandson and I called him peapod when my daughter was pregnant, oh and I also love cracker barrel.

Kelly said...

Oh that sweet grandbaby is going to be so spoiled by you!, many blessings to come! 2009 is going to be a great year for you!

Kelly

herMomsometimes said...

Grandbabies are so much fun. I have so many I lost count,lol.

I love eating a Cracker Barrel. That's where my DH and I always stop when we are traveling. The picture you showed of the food made me hungry. I love fried okra.

50sgal said...

Thanks for finding me and Now I have found you. Good luck with your ongoing life project. Mine is still in the interesting stage, but we will see.

The Happy Mrs Wise said...

Kathie, This is the first time I have logged into your site. WOW!!! you never cease to amaze me. In person you are never at a loss for words but I always knew there was so much more rambling around in that inquisitive, animated, bright eyed (beautiful I might add) head of yours. BTW congrats on the grandbaby. I'm so happy we get to become grandmothers in the same year!! "LYLAS" Sonya