Monday, February 9, 2009

One Happy Hillbilly House!


I have the best husband! Every single day that man not only tells me how much he loves me (he even randomly calls me up during the day to tell me, then about an hour later I'll get a text saying "I love you!"). He also tells me on a daily basis that he thinks I'm beautiful. Now, we all like to hear that mushy stuff, don't we gals?

But do you know what he tells me that I really, really love? I mean this melts my heart like a stick o' butter on the hood of a Chevy truck at noon during the 4th of July picnic....


Are ya ready for this? Here it goes: "You're a good Homemaker." Oh, be still my heart!!

No, seriously. He could say, "Kathie, yer as ugly as home made soap, but by golly, you sure do bake a mean meatloaf!" or "Boy Howdy, that's the best peach cobbler I've ever tasted!"

However, since I've been hunched over the computer for the last few weeks finishin' the book, he's had to cook his own meals (and that ain't pretty), do his own laundry (no man should have to wash his own drawers), and clean the house (Pledge is for polishin' the furniture, not the stairs - AAAhhh! bomp, bomp bomp!)

So, this weekend while he and Will were at a basketball game, I cleaned the house until it was spic-n-span.


I tossed a cornish hen in the oven to bake, so the smell would hit 'em upside the head as soon as he walked in the front door...


Later that afternoon, while he was takin' a nap, I whipped up his favorite cookies - Snickerdoodles.


I am not lyin'. He was one happy hillbilly. (Ahem, sorry, he prefers 'cowboy'.)



I'd like to tell ya that I worked like a dog all mornin' to get 'r done, however, as you can see by the pictures, at our house 'workin' like a dog' is an oxymoron!!




Violet and her mornin'nap


Violet and her afternoon nap


Mommy, please stop vacuuming. I'm tryin' to sleep!




I don't care if you're trying to carry a basket load of laundry. You can step over me.





Yes! Finally! Mom gets up to get a drink and I can claim my rightful spot.

Since she hasn't shaved her legs since spring, Dad will never notice the difference.

Yep! Things are finally back to normal around here.

12 comments:

Jane said...

I love those photos and a glimpse into your happy home.
I've got a great big labrador (chocolate brown) that is sitting right where I've just got up (it's 7.07am here) which means time to wake everyone up. Have a great day.

Lisa Ann said...

Aw, he sounds like a keeper. I love that table with the lamps. So romantic looking.

Kristina said...

Hey, could you send him to my house so he can talk to my husband?

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Good morning!

Thanks so much for stopping by the Back Porch!
I've visited those places, you mentioned. You see...I'm a hillybilly too, and proud of it. I was born in Laclede County, grew up in Lebanon, with just a couple of detours to the state of Texas. When I was in high school we lived in Texas County a couple of years. I'm sure, since you are a hillbilly, you are familiar with Texas and Laclede Counties.

Hope you stop by the Back Porch again, soon!

Back Through Time said...

What a sweetie you have in your hubby!! And you are awful sweet to him. Bet you two spoil each other on Valentine's day!
Thanks for the sweet comments on my blog:-)
Michelle

Coffee with Cathy said...

So sweet! Hope the work on your book is going well. Sounds like you've got the perfect support staff to help you.

Karen said...

You got some derned lazy critters in that their cozy house of yours!

Spruce Creek Farm said...

I'm part Hillbilly too, at least that's what they used to call my dad. A hillybilly from the hills of KY!
This is my first visit to your blog. I just wanted to drop in and say Hi and thank you for visiting my blog. Johnny, the grocery bagger, also brought tears to my eyes. But then again, I can cry at the drop of a bucket!
I used to live within an hour of DC. My husband used to be a truckdriver and his route was downtown DC.
I love the lamps that you have sitting on your table! Very pretty.
Brenda

ADG said...

I hate this post. Only 'cause I'm jealous of the food!

Jazz genius Charlie Parker said..."they can get the heroin out of my body but I can't get it out of my mind".

Even though I get inspiration from time to time via Julia Child and attempt to cook a thing or two from her first and defining cookbook, I love my Southern upbringing fare.I can cook better than most of the women I know here inside the Beltway.

I can get the picture of the fried chicken livers that you posted out of my recent memory but I can't get the visceral lust for fried chicken livers (and gizzards) out of my mind. Now where the heck am I gonna get fried livers and gizzards inside the beltway?

And now you go and show me food pictures that include homemade biscuits.Oy.

The Vintage Housewife... said...

oooh what a wonderful blessing of a cowboy man...sounds like he makes the hillbilly debutante's heart flutter...love it...cat

GrannySmithGreen said...

Sounds like you've got a keeper! I'm getting so hungry thinking about the hen and the cookies! Yum!

Also, as you know by now, our dear friend and blogger, Pearls & Grace, is going to have a "Pearl Event" in the NYC/Tri-state area on Sunday, March 1st at 7:00 PM. I am so very excited for her. She is really taking a leap of faith by basically going public with her incredible story.

I write to ask you a favor. P&G won't "toot her own horn" so, I'd like for us to do it for her. Would you mind making a blog post about this event and including a link to her blog and her email address?
http://www.pearlsandgrace.blogspot.com
pearlsandgrace@yahoo.com

Also, please keep her in your prayers. She is understandably nervous. Thank you so much for your support of this dear lady!
I look forward to seeing you in blogland!
-Granny Smith Green
http://www.grannysmithgreen.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I know this fella, used to work with him, and its all true. Warms my heart to see someone so in love with his wife that he can't stop being mushy - even while being a big wig professional. He gushed whenever he spoke about you.