Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Good Morning, Americans....this is Paul Harvey


The year was 1989 and I was a mid-day personality at a radio station just outside Kansas City. Paul Harvey, of course was one of our main attractions. He could take the most mundane stories and make them so very interesting.

On his birthday, I called ABC and asked to speak to him. The operator politely said, "One moment." Of course I expected to get his secretary or an answering machine.


In a few seconds, much to my surprise that distinguished, familiar voice came on the line.

"Paul Harvey here."

You could hear his gentle laughter in the background as a co-worker and myself sang what I am sure was many, many annoying renditions of "Happy Birthday". He asked us our names and what station we were calling from. I don't even remember what was said. All I recall is being in awe of that booming, unaffected voice, possibly realizing for the first time that what you heard was what you got.
No pretense.
His voice in normal, every day conversation was the same iconic voice you heard during his broadcasts.



Paul and his wife, Angel


The content of his broadcasts, and his particular style of speaking always took me back to a kinder, gentler, time, reminiscent of the 50's. I will especially miss his signature signoff....
"and now you know the rrrrrest of the story."
Speaking of 1950's. If you're hunkerin' for a good read. Click to the top of my screen to the right where is says' "50's gal." She has dedicated her year to living life as if it were 1955. I am not just talking about the way she dresses. I'm talking about ALL aspects of her life. It's very interesting and very entertaining. Take a look!









4 comments:

Kristina said...

Wow...that's funny that you sang happy birthday to him! I loved his broadcasts.

Valerie said...

Hi Kathie.

Loved your walk down memory lane with Paul Harvey! (I had a similar experience with Fred Rogers AKA Mister Rogers at a banquet celebrating children's services in Kansas City.)

BTW...since I know you hate politics so much, can I take it that you won't be reading Rod Balgojevich's tell-all? :)

I don't know about you, but it sounds to me like it smacks of "but he did it first..."

Vintage Kitten said...

Aww I really enjoyed seeing the picture of 'Peapod'. Sophia is a beautiful name X

Coffee with Cathy said...

Love your Paul Harvey story! Thanks so much for sharing.