Sunday, March 22, 2009

My Good Luck Streak Continues...


In my quest to turn over a new leaf and be a better, (read: cheerier) wife, I decided to bake a homemade deepdish chicken potpie that I saw on Old Centennial Farmhouse's blog.


I followed the recipe to a tee! It smelled delicious! And this time it wasn't one of my ugly pie crusts. No sirree, this one looked good enough to eat. I was so proud of myself. I opened the oven door, and clinging to my Grandma Drexie's vintage pot holders, grasped the pie ever so gently bringing, veerryy carefully out of the oven, and - and ....



SPLAT!!!!!


Yep. It broke completely in two and plopped on the oven door. (No, I do not make these things up. See for yourself. Here's the other half.)


Okay, Kathie, repeat after me, "I will not cry, I will not cry".


No problem, I thought, trying to keep my cool. I'll just scoop this up in a separate bowl, and serve the rest. It will still be good. Jay will never know the difference. When he gets home he'll just think that William ate most of it.


Speaking of William, he comes into the kitchen to see what all the banging clanging is about. He takes one look and asks (in disgust), "What is that supposed to be?"


"Chicken Pot Pie - homemade Chicken Pot Pie," I smiled proudly, thinking of the hour of love I put into creating this fine, albeit half-wasted meal.


"I hate Chicken Pot Pie," he said, expressionless.



"Hmm," I thought. "WWJD? What would June do?"



I stood there for a minute, still trying not to cry - or cuss - when it hit me. No, not the oven door. The realization of knowing exactly what June would do. She'd ask for a re-take, someone from the prop department would bring her a new pie and they'd live happily ever after until next week's episode.


I'm not June, even though my life does read like a sit-com. I do not have a 'take-two', nor do I have a prop department, so, bursting into laughter I reached down and scooped up what I'd dropped and gave it to someone who really appreciates me. My sweet Sally Bear.




So what? I'm not June Cleaver, Martha Stewart, or Paula Deen, for that matter! I can accept that.

But what really gets me is that when I took the "Which Andy Griffith Show Character are You?" I'm not even Aunt Bee!


I'm Otis! Yes, Otis!!

((sigh)) ((hiccup!))

15 comments:

Gracie Beth said...

One time I sloshed half a pumpkin pie into the oven...that was bad!

Old Centennial Farmhouse said...

OHMYGOODNESS! YOU HAD ME ON THE FLOOR LAUGHING! You poor girl! I'm so sorry that this happened to you! I wish you were my neighbor, I'd be over there in a minute and give you a big hug...

I feel so awful...I guess I need to ammend the recipe and say to place the pie on top of a good sized cookie sheet, maybe?

tawn said...

That is hilarious! Otis? How do you look in overalls? I am sure you would look cute as a bug in a rug! and can you sing?

You are just too funny!

Kristina said...

That had me cracking up. Only because I did the exact same thing once with a green bean casserole! Also, I could picture your son telling you that he hated potpie, AFTER you spent all that time making it. You get an A for effort!

juls4real said...

Hey, it looks kinda good to me. You know, comfort food and all. How did it taste? Now, isn't that the important thing here? Okay. Anyway. I made my hubby a crockpot lasagne thing yesterday. He never likes what I cook. Surprise, he liked it. Who knew? You made me smile, Otis. Thanks.

Kathie's Honey said...

I talked to the folks at Kraft and Swansons and they are relieved that your not giving up on them yet. Everyone should know the truth that you are a good cook and everything doesn't end up on the kitchen floor--yes we go through glasses at our house as fast as an old western saloon--and we love your cookin. Plus your prettier than June! Now, Otis, get back to work!

Coffee with Cathy said...

Aw -- Otis and a spurned and broken chicken potpie all in one day. So sorry! But you are you, thank goodness, and that's what counts.

Summer said...

Oh.looks yummy..Ya,William ate most of it...;D lol..

Solo said...

You look great on your hair.Love your post girl.;D

Vintage Kitten said...

That was sooooo funny! I thought your pie looked delicious, although I would have laughed when it went 'plop' on the oven door LOL!

Im hoping to visit more of the english countryside now Spring is here so I will take some lovely photos just for you X

Bye for now June........sorry I mean Kathie LOL! X

MellyLil said...

I'm glad I found your blog, and thanks for visiting mine! You poor thing, your story had me in stitches! I think your attitude is fabulous. Have a great day!

sle said...

You are so funny! I was laughing so hard about the Otis comment my husband came in to see what was going on.

Miss Janice said...

Now that's too funny...those things happen to me all the time. I was making the cupcakes for my Lilly Pulitzer Luncheon a few weeks ago and at the last minute the cupcakes kept rising and rising in the oven. The mess was all over the oven. On top of that I had to start all over! So you want to see more of "me"! Well, I'm usually in a hurry or by myself, that why I've got my outfits on the mannequin. Was that what you were asking about?

Always a Southern Girl said...

Oh No!!! I would be crying! But I guess that wouldn't accomplish anything, but it would make me feel better. I love this quote, "I'll think about it tomorrow, after all tomorrow is another day!"

~Crystal~ said...

That is hysterical!!!
I have a Paula Deen Chicken Pot pie on The Recipe Place blog. It's super good & should me liked by all. Plus it's easy.

I was Gomer Pyle by the way. :)