Thursday, July 23, 2009

I'm going to answer all of your questions, and for the most part I'll make the answers short and sweet. I'll break them up so the post doesn't get too long and boring and I'll also try to post pictures when I can. Someone asked me to do a post on my pageant days, so I'll give you all a good laugh and scan those pictures and show them to you another day. First of all, I want to start with Joni at Old Centennial Farmhouse. Her first question really intrigued me because it was something that Mr. T and I were discussing just the other day.




1. I would like to know how you came to live in Washington, DC and if those of us 'out here' have a right to think the elite there are out of touch with the people.

Well, Joni, as most of my readers know, my husband and I come from a strong farm/ranch background. To make a long story short, he was an executive with the Missouri Cattlemen's Association and was promoted to the National Cattlemen's Beef Association here in DC.


That answers the easy part of the question. Now for the second part. Do you have a right to think the elite are out of touch with the rest of America.



Absolutely. The funny thing is, Joni....most don't even realize it. True, there are some that probably just don't care, but to the credit of most, they just get so busy that they do, in fact 'lose touch'. Remember that even if you call your Congressman or Senator, almost always you are going to talk to the Chief of Staff or maybe a Legislative Aid at best. Imagine ALL the people that call their representative! It's crazy. They can't possibly 'hear' every single person. This is why special interest groups are important. Hear me out before you throw things at the computer.




Remember, above, I told you that at one time my husband had represented the cattlemen. Imagine if every single farmer or rancher in this nation tried to call their Congressman/Senator. What if every doctor, teacher, carpenter, restaurant owner, retail owner/manager, manufacturer, realtor, florist, etc, etc., tried to call their representative? That's why you need to be a member of whatever association, etc, that represents your career field or something that your passionate about. When you are a member of you special interest group, and trust me, regardless of what you think, each and every one of us has a special interest, then that person is your voice in Washington. Special interests insure your right to free speech. How?



When I was a broadcaster I was a member of the National Association of Broadcasters. When I was a realtor, a member of the National Association of Realtors. Each year I paid my dues and on several occasions called the Realtors Association and complained about issues that concerned me. I also contributed to a PAC fund, (political action committee), which helped get certain people elected that would stand for what I, as a realtor, believed was best. These are important to politicians. Without $$$ they don't get elected. This is why I urge every one of you ot there to get involved and be a part of a group that fights for what you believe in.


Whew! I hope I didn't bore you with all that.


Before I close, though, I must confess. Even I am guilty of losing touch with the rest of the country. There is something about this place that sucks you in and makes you feel that you really are at the center of the universe. That's embarrassing to say, but at least I am being honest. I was shocked when some of you e-mailed me about the drastic things taking place all across America because people are afraid that they are losing their rights and losing America as they know it.

I hope that answered your question, and while I don't 'do' politics on Hillbilly Debutante, it was just such a relevent question for this day and time. I couldn't resist.

Tomorrow, I'll answer more of your fun questions that you all had for me!


Hmmm...so much for short and sweet, huh?



3 comments:

~Crystal~ said...

I'm excited about you answering these questions. You just fascinate me!

English Cottage in Georgia said...

Fascinating answer to a timely question. Thank you for stressing the importance of PACs and of lobbying! That is exactly what our forefathers wanted - dissent, discussion, more dissent and compromise.
For many they is the feeling that dissention is being quelled and that "names are being taken".
I have tried really hard to keep politics out of my facebook, but it is getting more and more difficult.
So far, blogging has been apolitical unless, I purposely go to a political blog, but I started blogging after the Presidential election.
I look forward to your future questions and answers.

Dickie said...

I couldn't agree more. As a director of membership here in Old Town, I am constantly sharing the exact point of view with our prospective members AND with friends/peers who are disgusted in lobbying.

The truth and fact is - lobbying educates legislators. How are legislators suppose to know the minutia on every issue and how could they w/o special interest groups sharing their concerns and working towards amicable solutions.

That is what's great about the American political system.