Thursday, July 9, 2009

Quote of the Week....


"Tell me I can't

and

I'll show you I can!"

Kathie Truitt


There have been 3 times in my life when nay-sayers have told me I 'couldn't'.

"You're not good enough."


"Too much competition"


"People like you are a dime a dozen - just give it up."


"You're not tall enough."


"You're not pretty enough."


"YOU?" (followed by laughter).


And three times, with hard work, tons of tenacity, and the grace of God, I have always accomplished my goals.


Now, sit back and watch. It's fixin' to happen again. And when it does, I'll do the same thing I've always done.


No, I won't say I 'told you so.' I won't cop an arrogant attitude. I won't even think smugly to myself, "I've arrived."


Instead, I will do what I have always done. I will drop to my knees, bow my head and


When it happens I will publicly thank those who have stood by me, encouraged, (even discouraged, although I won't name names) and assisted me along the way.

Because regardless of what we accomplish in this world, we never do it on our own.

Ever.

Life's pathway is strewn with the people we need to help us get where we're going.

Sure, it feels good to have our cheerleaders on the sidelines. But we need the critics to make us stop, think and re-evaluate. Critics force us to look at the bigger picture and ask ourself the tough questions. Perhaps they're right? Is this attainable? Should I adopt a different strategy? Could I be better?

The people that are hell-bent on bringing you down? (Not to be confused with critics).Use them to motivate you. Yep, I said motivate. They are a fact of life. They won't go away. So you have two choices. You can let them gnaw at your confidence. Or you can picture the surprised look on their face when you've accomplished the impossible. (And that's all you get to do. No 'i told you so's'. That's tacky and it serves no purpose.)

Our friends are the ones we go to for the truth. Because regardless of how much it may hurt, they will always be brutally honest with us. Even it makes us cry.

So, in my life, whichever one of the above you recognize in yourself, whether it be Critic, Encourager, Discourager, Friend or Enemy, I thank God for you.

Because with your help and His, I WILL achieve this goal.

11 comments:

Gracie Beth said...

People learn the hard way with me that I have that streak that when someone tells me I cannot do something it motivates me. I think it actually works well with my academic major because I have professors that do not believe in me all the time.

Princess Freckles said...

I love this post! Sometimes I think I'm my worst critic!

I can't wait to hear about all your success!

Coffee with Cathy said...

You go, girl! And you are so right that we can learn from our critics. I'd much rather someone help me make it right than insincerely tell me it's right.

Jennifer said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog! I look forward to reading your posts!

Old Centennial Farmhouse said...

YOU GO GIRL! I think the world of you and cannot wait for your dream to be realized! (((HUGS)))
XOXO
Joni
(Your farmhouse friend!)

Summer said...

Yeah, that's Hill! =D Getting even stronger in times. And sometimes it's still good when some people say that "you can't do it". That is the time that we are thinking that we can do it and we can be even more stronger than who we are before. Take negative vibes and discouraged as our power and strength. For us to do those things that we want to. And most important is, love those people more and more..=D Have a blessed day.=D

Deanna Maria Linz said...

This is a great post, I was thinking about you and your family today....big hug...Deanna, Andy & Carter

Summer is a Verb said...

Tis true...but I'm curious, what's the new goal? XXOO

Karen said...

Kathie, you just boosted me up in a big way.

My detractors tell me, "You're so funny...." when I tell them what I do, or about the blog I write..

It stings for a moment, then under it all, I fire up, ready to exceed all expectations.

Heidi said...

Love this wise post. Thank you for encouraging us all.

The Vintage Housewife... said...

YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!! SASSY IT UP! LOVE IT!!! CAT~