Monday, July 27, 2009

Trash Talk

The next question is from Trash Talk


1. What is your thought process when writing? I think I may have a book inside me but don't how to begin.


What is my thought process? Hmmmm.


It depends. I am finding that my thought process is completely different for my second book, than my first one. I didn't have to come up with a plot for "False Victim", and that made it much easier, however, I had to 'fill in' and that was more difficult. Somedays, I would literally get up at 7:30 am and write until 1:00 the next morning, and not get past a paragraph. Sometimes, that was because I didn't know how to bridge events together and that was so frustrating. Sometimes, it was downright painful to relive everything. I'd either become angry all over again, or be sad for days.

The scary parts would give me nightmares. The betrayal chapters would break my heart as if it was all brand new. It was very hard on my family. Especially my husband.
The majority of this story does not present him in the best of light. Honestly, it makes him look like a jerk at times, and one publicist even said 'the husband in the story line comes across as weak', which he absolutely is not. I can not say that enough, and I am calling on everyone that knows him to please stand up and say this man of mine is a man of great character, and strength. It was just a very unusual time and no one knew what to do.
He finally one day just sat me down and said, "You have to write the truth. Write it exactly how it happened."
Once the book was written and I read it, it was so awful, I wanted to cry. So, I sat down and re-wrote it. That's not as bad as it sounds. Basically, just saving it on the computer, adding words here and there. Replacing sentences with new ones. Maybe adding another chapter. Finally, at the very end I could read it and actually enjoy it.
So, Ms. Trash Talk I hope that answers your question on my 'thought process.'
And yes, I know you have a book inside you. EVERYONE does! It's true.
So, sit yourself down, and devise a plot. My second book I am really enjoying writing. I figured out a plot and jotted it down (always carry a notebook with you. Even when you walk - carry a pen and small piece of paper.) I then invented my characters. Name them, write them on a piece of paper, and give them the characteristics you want them to have.
Make an outline of your story. Now comes the hard part. Sit down. Turn on the computer and start writing. It sounds so easy, but it is the hardest part.
JUST START WRITING. Don't care how it sounds/reads at first. Just do it. You will change it a million times, trust me. Keep writing. Every day. Don't put it off.
Procrastination is the biggest obstacle.
Happy writing!

4 comments:

Lisa Ann said...

I admire anyone who can write. I am a lover of books and I can't think of anything more amazing than being able to write them.
I can't wait to read yours.

Lady-in-the-Making said...

Hey Sweetie! I'm proud of you for walking past it! I love my decorating magazines as well!!! And they can be pricey!

I'm a writer also and LOVED your post!

Hugs to you -

Lady in the Making

trash talk said...

I so appreciate your taking the time to answer my question so throroughly. I do carry slips of paper around with me, but then I never can remember where I put them! I am one hot mess. Looks like I need to first work on my organizational skills first, huh?
Thanks for all the input and maybe I will try...maybe a short story first. Baby steps, baby steps!
Thanks again,
Trash

Karen said...

Kathie, I am a writer. Always have been. But why do I still find it SO hard to write WELL!!! Why is it still excruciating sometimes to put what I want to say into meaningful, beautiful words?