Monday, August 31, 2009

Moving, Reading, and Being a Lazy Blogger


I'm almost moved into the new house and getting ready to put everything together. I'll start posting pictures of my progress.


After 17 months of writing, editing and re-writing, I thought I'd take some time and be on the other end of a book for a change. So, while I'm asking myself 'what to read? what to read?' I thought I'd revisit the books that my English literature teacher used to assign to us. You know the ones that bore you to tears? The ones that made me beg my Dad to let me mow the lawn, scoop the stalls, anything to use an excuse to not have to read those looonnnggg, drawn out, bo-ring! 'classics'. Don't tell Mrs. Wiseman, but I was able to read just enough that I could make a report and carry on a conversation about it..

(And by the way, Will Truitt, if you are reading this, I know every trick in the book, so don't even think you can get away with something like that...)

Anyway, back to my reading. I decided on Henry David Thoreau's Walden and Other Writings. Oh. My. Goodness. Thomas Wolfe's You Can't Go Home, Again. Ugh! I can't get into these anymore at 47 than I could when I was 15 or 16.


Henry David Thoreau


And life is just way too short to pretend to enjoy something you don't. So, if my finding Thoreau and Wolfe excruciating painful makes me 'uncouth and uncultured,' then so be it. I am uncouth and uncultured.

So, if you'll excuse me I'm going to go on line and order the new book "Social Climbers" by Beth Dunn. It's had rave reviews in the Blog World and it sounds like a fun read.

Beth Dunn
(much cuter than Henry David Thoreau, don'tcha think?)

But I'll keep H.D.'s - I can call you H.D, can't I Henry David? - book near my nightstand and it will be cheaper than a sedative when I can't sleep







7 comments:

Beth Dunn said...

Oh you are a doll! xoxo

Suburban Princess said...

I agree - I am too old to read books I'm not enjoying!

trash talk said...

And if the nightstand ever gets wobbly, you can just slip it under the leg!
I'm with you...life is just too short to read something that is BORING!
Debbie

Summer said...

We are getting old. So i think we need to read books that was just entertaining and fun to read. =D Have a great day. =D

Summer
A Writers Den
Brown Mestizo

Valerie@travelingthrough2 said...

Hi Kathie, I come by way of Miss Janice's blog. We lived near DC (Dale City, VA) for 7 years while my husband was in the Coast Guard. Your suburban post really made me smile. Hope you are able to live with your decision!
Valerie

Summer is a Verb said...

Let me know how Social Climbers is please! Tried to organize drinks for this wknd but then ADG and I decided to hit the beach instead for one last horrah. Separately, natch...XXOO

Solo said...

Getting older need to have fun things or enjoyable books to read to avoid boring stages. hehe

Solo
Travel and Living
Job Hunt Pinoy