Monday, September 28, 2009

Welcome Home!

Did you think I'd skipped the country and forgotten you? Nah, that'll never happen.

I have, however, been up to my eyeballs in unpacking boxes, packages, decorating and all the things that come with moving. I'm still only half way done.

We are blessed with really big rooms in this house. And, of course, I am one of these people that has to fill up every nook, cranny and wall space with something, which drives my family nuts, because I am always arranging, rearranging, and pounding nails in the wall.
I make no apologies.
I will apologize for my terrible photography skills, though. I can't seem to take a picture that's not just a little blurry, or off center. Unfortunately these shots just don't do it justice.
This is a reading nook in a corner of the not-sor-formal, formal living room where I sit and thumb through my decorating magazines. Victoria, Southern Lady, Romantic Homes, and my absolute favorite, Romantic Country, are where I get most of my inspiration.

It's also where Sophia and I make goo-goo eyes at each other when she comes to visit. We hide out from the rest of the world and Grandma sings to her. And while maybe the rest of the world doesn't appreciate my vocal talent, you can see by the look on her sweet face that she thinks Grandma's singing is just fine.

She is also a huge part of my inspiration for decorating this house. I want Grandma's house to be a magical place, just like my Grandma's house was to me, not only as a child, but well into my adult life, as well.

The above picture of this 1940's flapper lady is one of my favorites. Notice the hat boxes and tea cup? You'll find that I'm obsessed with things like these when it comes to decorating. You just can't have too many and I'm always on the lookout for more.

Sally in her favorite spot

I'm trying to get as much done as possible because next week I'll be taking a trip to Missouri for a few days.
It's my first trip in 2 and 1/2 years. My first trip back since the purchase of the farm fell through. That broke my heart so bad that I haven't even been able to visit since then. Stepping back, of course, it's so much easier to put all that in perspective. Me, there? Sophia here? That just wouldn't have worked.
No, siree. I am right where I want to be.

6 comments:

Beth Dunn said...

Your granddaughter is adorable!!! I bet she thinks you sing like an angel. So glad you are getting settled. Best of luck on your trip. xoxo

Old Centennial Farmhouse said...

I enjoyed seeing some glimpses of your new home! Can't wait to see more, and of course your sweet little granddaughter, too! I can just picture you sitting there cradling her and enjoying your song time with her...
XOXO
Joni

Valerie@travelingthrough2 said...

Your house is looking wonderful. What a cute picture of your granddaughter and such a sweet name. Ya, I think being close to family is nice, otherwise as much as you mean to you just don't see all that much of them. Have a wonderful week!
Valerie

Gracie Beth said...

Love it, The baby is beautiful!

Lindsey said...

You have such a fun blog, and what a precious little angle you have in your granddaughter!!! Thanks so much for your post on my blog! I'm learning so much as I tackle newlywed duties. I'm so glad you added to my baking soda section. Every good southern girl needs to learn how to get the hairspray out of her hair! lol you know we tend to use too much!

~Crystal~ said...

Oh, I love it all so much!

My Granny would "sing" to me as a baby & the joke was she would sing so bad, I would go to sleep so I wouldn't have to listen anymore. :)