Friday, November 13, 2009

Last night's conversation. Here's the scenario: Mr T sitting on the plush, brown love seat, feet stretched out on the leopard print ottoman, computer in his lap. Me, on red/beige plaid chair watching Fox News. (First of all, this is not, I repeat, not a political blog, so don't chastise me for watching Fox. Sometimes, I watch CNN. Sometimes I watch wrestling.)
Mr. T: What is up with your blog?
Me: Whaddya mean?
Mr. T: I mean it really sucks.
Me (sarcastic): Gee, thanks.
Mr. T: No, seriously, it's really bad.
Me: I know! I heard you!
Mr. T: Well, you gotta do something about it. These people have followed you for two years. They've left comments and e-mails. A lot of them have friended you on Facebook. You have really let them down.
Me (now feeling lower than a snake's belly): I know it's bad, but I don't know what to do about it.
Mr. T: Well, write something funny. You're a funny girl, that's why I married you, you know. Well, that and the fact that you looked good in sweaters.
Me (sarcastic again): Well, I guess I could go put on my new yellow sweater and you could post a picture. However, I don't things my readers would appreciate it. Most of them are women. Besides that, some things have not 'stood up' well to the test of time, if you know what I mean?
Mr. T: Come on, now, Katheryne (he's the only one allowed to call me that). People will stop reading if you don't give them something they can laugh at or at least relate to.
Me (thinking silently to myself): When did Mr. Politician/Lobbyist/Consultant/I Love All Things Political and I Live For Talk Radio become such a literary genius?
Me: I'm not angry any more! I can only be funny when I'm unhappy.
Mr. T: So, you've been unhappy our whole married life? (bah- dah -boom)
So, that conversation really got me to thinking, which can be a very dangerous thing.
Just so you know, I'll have a new website soon, thanks to my publisher. I'm sure between Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year and my release I'll have something fun to share with you.
However, I will tell you a secret. My manuscript is with a few producers in Hollywood that have requested to see it.
And...are you ready for this? I have a face-to-face meeting this Monday with another producer.
Yes, it's exciting. BUT - there's always a big ol' 'but' in the way, isn't there? - nothing may come out of it. I'm not a 'pride-ful' person. If a movie doesn't come out of this, I'll be disappointed (because I really, really want it), but it won't be the end of the world. I won't be embarrassed that I didn't 'make the cut.'
Besides, the fact that my story has gotten this far is just more than I ever dreamed. It's not every day that producers request to see your manuscript, is it? So, even if a movie doesn't pan out, I still have the book and I can still sit in my rocker when I'm 102 and tell my grandkids about it.
I'm telling you all of this because Mr. T is right (did I just admit that?) You all have been with me every. step. of. the. way. Check back in on Monday night, and I'll let you know how it all went! Have a good weekend. And hopefully, wherever you are it's not raining cats and dogs like it is here in the DC area.

10 comments:

trash talk said...

Be sure and wear your new yellow sweater to the meeting...oh, and watch out for the casting couch!
Good luck...I'm excited for you. Can't wait to hear all about the process.
Debbie

Gracie Beth said...

I love your blog just the way it is!

~Crystal~ said...

I'm so excited for you! And I'm getting my popcorn ready!

ADG said...

Just glad to know that all is well with you.

Preppy 101 said...

How have I missed you all these months? I just got your comment and now am following you! Your book sounds fabulous. I can't wait to read it!! Mr. Hillbilly Deb is too funny! haha. My daughter is moving to an area just outside Baltimore soon. I'll be up that way for visits now! xoxo

Kristina said...

Your blog has always been one of my faves...mine is suffering right now too, because I am concentrating on my business blog. I think I might just have to combine them. Two blogs to keep up with is too much work! Don't worry, we're hanging in there with ya!

Lisa Ann said...

At least your blog isn't depressing like mine is right now. I love you just the way you are and I'm not going anywhere.
Good luck on Monday! The next thing you know you will be a Beverly hillbilly!

English Cottage in Georgia said...

Your yellow sweater made me long for the days of wearing sweaters and my vintage rhinestone jewelry. At the age of 54 and being either hot or hotter (body heat, not looks), I am afraid I will never wear a sweater or a coat again.
It is not just your humor which I enjoy, but your perspective of life. Kudos...and still anxiously awaiting your book.

Jules said...

Wow! I feel excited for you Hill. =D And don't worry i love your blog whatever it is (smile). =D


Summer
A Writers Den
Brown Mestizo

Coffee with Cathy said...

We're right here with you, even when you get rich and famous and much too busy to update your blog! Good luck!!!