Friday, November 6, 2009

You're questions (FINALLY) answered....

1. How old are you?

I am 47! Yes, I know the saying 'a lady never reveals her age.' Sorry, but I disagree. Society puts too much emphasis on youth. I am proud of my age! I don't let it hold me back from doing anything that I love. As long as I'm healthy I'll be riding horses, riding my bike and dancing the night away until I'm 107.


2. Describe finishing school.

I loved it, although it was a different world for me. Much to my mother's disappointment, I preferred to be out riding, shooting with my Dad, or going to the livestock auction with my grandfather. Going to finishing school forced me to learn how to be a bit more ladylike. We had a very strict dress code. We could only wear dresses or suits, skirts only, no pants. No bare legs. We always had to wear stockings. Absolutely no gum chewing. No crossed legs. Feet flat on the floor or crossed at the ankles. Proper annunciation. I didn't know it at the time but it would prepare me and give me the confidence I would need for White House dinners or state events where I might be seated next to a senator, governor, ambassador or other dignitary. All in all it was a great experience and I think if you have the opportunity to put your daughter in such a class/school by all means do it!
3. How did you come up with the name 'Hillbilly Debutante?'
You know, I've made no secret about the fact that I grew up in a very rural area. I may poke fun of myself and talk about being a 'hillbilly', but actually I have had an amazing life. I would even venture to say 'glamorous'. Sometimes I look around at the people I've had the privilege to meet, my larger than life friends and neighbors (some of whom you've seen on television - that's all I'm sayin') and I can not believe the fun I've had/am still having. I have the best of both worlds. I am a true blue bona fide country girl that gets to enjoy everything the city has to offer, including lots of parties, benefits, i.e. lots of opportunities to dress up! I truly feel like a "Hillbilly Debutante."

4. How long did it take you to write the book?

17 long, hard, months.

5. What is your pet peeve?

Easy. I loathe snobbishness. I simply can not and will not tolerate someone that thinks they are better than others, and treats them accordingly. That is the most valuable lesson my parents taught me and I have been very adamant with my children as well. It doesn't matter who you are or what you have, it is never right to look down your nose at someone else. (Even the Bible states that God dislikes someone with 'haughty eyes.') Prime example: I used to work at a retail shop and one of our customers always treated us like the scum of the earth. She was just awful. One time she even told the manager that she didn't want us 'sales clerks' to speak to her when she came in the store. Imagine the surprised look on her face when she and I came face to face at one of Washington's premier invitation only events. I'm sure she was flabergasted that I was sitting at the table with some of the ladies that frequently have their pictures in the society pages. After that she'd come back in the store and try to be nice. But by then the damage had been done. While I don't hold a grudge, I never forget how someone treats me.

I'm sorry it took me so long to get to your questions. Some of you had wanted to see pictures from my visit to the country a few weeks ago. Sorry! No camera!

But I will be able to post some pictures from some fun things I'll be doing between now and Christmas.














6 comments:

trash talk said...

Mother always told us we weren't better than anyone else, but we sure as shootin' were just as good! Money doesn't impress me...you can't buy class...but lady, you sure got it!
Debbie

Jules said...

Such a great post. And it gives lots of people an inspiration to live life as happy as it can be. =D

Summer
A Writers Den
Brown Mestizo

CRICKET said...

I just turned 40 and I am actually loving it an dproud to say it!

The Vintage Kitten said...

Great post, I do like to know about the people whos blogs I enjoy. From now on I will have to watch my P's and Q's as you went to finishing school.....very posh!!!
Thanks so much for your recent comment on my decision to stop blogging. Im going to have a few weeks away and then maybe come back X

Summer is a Verb said...

Still dying to hear about the book! XXOO

Denise C said...

OH sweet Kathie,
How wonderful to "meet" you! You are a breath of fresh air!!! Thank you sooo much for your kind sweet words to me and my family! I just love how "God" crosses the paths of His children in this bloggy world! You are truly a blessing...and I look forward to "following along" on your blog...! Have a most blessed day and wonderful Thanksgiving with your family!!!!
(((Hugs)))
Denise