Monday, December 7, 2009

The year in pictures....

Sleigh bells ring, are ya listenin' ....

I love this time of year!


It's not only when we as Christians, celebrate the birth of God's Son, but it's also the time when most of us pause to reflect on the past 12 months, to look at what we've accomplished, scrutinize what we wanted to but didn't, and refocus our energies on goals for the upcoming year.
From finding out this same time last year that I was going to be a Grandma, through the excruciating 9 month wait until it happened, and all the day-to-day happenings in between, I am just so blessed.


For me, 2009 has truly been the best year ever!


Going with Rachael to shop for baby things. Her belly is so sweet in this picture (although I'm sure she'd argue that).


Spending lazy days poolside at my friend Meredith's house.

4th of July on the roof top of my office building, with the Washington Monument in the background.


Everyday hugs from Will. He's 15 and he's still not embarrassed to hug his Mama in front of his friends. It doesn't matter where we are or who who is around, he always shows affection to his family. And he always opens doors for ladies. He is the sweetest!


The arrival of Sophia (finally) on July 29th.

Trip to Missouri

Four generations.

Ew, I thought long and hard before letting you see this one. Vanity almost won out as I chanted to myself "Do I or don't I?" Aw, what the heck? Are you going to like me any less because my double chin is hanging to my breasts (which are hanging to my knees)?

I didn't think so.



New house 'before.'


New house 'after'.

I revel in new beginnings, new places, where I can take the same things I've had for years and re-create, imagine, and use them in completely mixed-up,unique ways. I am in love with this house, but still...I don't think it will be my last one. I am sure I've got at least 'one more' new house out there for me to conquer before I settle down for good.


Cedric The Entertainer

(one of my favorite nights of 2009)

This particular evening was very special because it was courtesy of Cedric's sister and brother-in-law. We love Eric and Sharita like crazy, and Cedric's mother is a sweetheart. We've followed his career from the beginning and because of Eric and Sharita, he has always felt like family to us. So, when Cedric came to DC they arranged for Jay and I to go to his show. Imagine our delight when we got to the box office and tucked inside the envelope were backstage passes! Wait. It gets better. Our seats were front row! During the meet and greet he was so pleasant and patient with folks, posing for pictures and signing autographs, but I have to admit his face lit up when we told him who we were. Even though you know he loves what he does, in the whole scheme of things it's still a job, and I'm sure he gets homesick for his family.

More to come.....

Please leave a note...I'd love to hear some of the highlights of your year.

4 comments:

trash talk said...

This has been a busy, productive year for you. Don't forget the book 'cause I haven't!
I gave up a long time ago the war with vanity and gravity. It is what it is...you know? I just tell people I'm older than I am and they think I look great!
New babies make the year, don't they? She's a beauty...just like her g'mother!
Debbie

ADG said...

Great Post!

sherri said...

You made me too take a moment and reflect over this year, I shouldn't have needed a reminder! A new grandbaby, a niece recovered from cancer, my mother-in-law pulled out of a real health scare.... the list goes on and one! Thanks for making me take time to be thankfull!

karen said...

Kathie, I'm your fan for life. I love your new house, the new baby, the sleazy tat, Virginia. I'm comin' to meet you next time I visit my cuz in Herndon. Will is SO cute and reminds me exactly of my almost 16-year-old Nick. I hope they stay this lovey for ever! When Nick was nine he told me he would "never ditch me like the other kids do to their moms." And he never has.

Have a warm, trashy, hillbilly Christmas. You have a blessed life and I'm very happy for you! Love, Karen