Sunday, February 14, 2010

Love is blind.....

Or is it?
William was three years old (1997), sitting in the middle of the floor playing with his building blocks. This was right in the middle of Shania Twain's "Man! I feel like a woman!" craze and sure enough she just happened to be on the tube doing a Revlon commercial. Mr. T, like every other man in America thought Shania was the cat's meow.
In a moment of what I am sure Mr. T. thought would become a male-bonding experience he spouts, "William, that Shania Twain sure is pretty!" to which William abruptly drops his toys, looks at his dad, points to me and in the most chastising voice he can muster says, "Dad, that is the most beautiful woman in the world." I then give Mr. T my best, ha! take that! look, scoop Will up in my arms and give him the biggest hug.
I promise you for the next three weeks every time I passed by a mirror I started to see the close resemblance between myself and the Country Cutie. No, really. I did!
Now, fast forward a month....
We are watching the new game show "The Weakest Link".
I have no clue why a three old is so obsessed with this show, but you can bet your bottom dollar at 6:30 every evening the world came to a stop so he could watch. No, Sesame Street for our kid. No sirree. We had to watch (in his words) "The Weakest Wink."
I didn't mind because it was about the only 30 minutes of the day I could just sit and catch my breath. If you're the mother or have ever been the mother of a toddler boy, you totally understand what I am saying.
Anyway, he keeps looking at the television set and the me, then me back to the television. He does this for about five minutes before he says, "Mommy, that's the only lady on TV that you're not cuter than."
" WHAT?"
He has to be joking, but the look on his face tells me he is as serious as a heart attack.
Shamelessly, I kneel next to the television and put my big fat head next to Anne Robinson, the game show hostess just as she shrieks (in a most unladylike fashion)
"You AH the weakest link!"
"Are you sure?" I ask pointing to myself, then Anne.
"Yes, Mommy. Other than Anne, you're the prettiest girl in the world"
So, I am prettier than Shania Twain, but not near as pretty as Anne from The Weakest Link. Go figure.


Funny, now when I look in the mirror I see the strong resemblance between myself and Anne. That should bother me, but it doesn't.
After all, it's not so bad to look like the 'cutest girl on television', huh? Even if I am a close second. (wink)
Out of the mouths of babes....
Happy Valentine's Day!
kathie


6 comments:

James said...

A delightful story. Of the three I think all your followers would pick you! I hope you had a nice Valentine's

gCe said...

I think you are MUCH cuter than the weakest link lady!

Preppy 101 said...

This is a darling story! Makes being a Mom so much more fun!! xoxo

Old Centennial Farmhouse said...

Oh, that is just the cutest thing ever....your son was already funny at three years of age! Kathie, you resemble so many famous people. One of them being whatshername in Steel Magnolias....you know, the smart alec one that was so crabby....BUT YOU'RE MUCH, MUCH CUTER THAN HER (and funnier)!
XOXO
Joni

Kathie Truitt said...

Joni - you're talking about Weezer! That is funny because when I took the test "Which Steel Magnolia Character are You?" I turned out to be her.

ADG said...

you do not have a big fat head.