Friday, March 12, 2010

Yesterday I posted about receiving the book/life rights contract and a lot of you wanted to know how that works.


At the same time I received my publishing contract, long before the manuscript even went to editing, it was pitched to about 4 different movie producers. From the very beginning I never kidded myself about this storyline. I knew from the get-go that this plot was not 'cinema-type' material, but I did know that it would make either a great made-for-TV or pay per view movie. My agent went ahead and pitched it to about 4 different producers and some of them were 'big-name' producers, just in case. (No, not Steven Spielberg or James Cameron)


I never heard from the first three, but one of the producers I must say. really impressed me by e-mailing me and letting me know that he received the manuscript. He even e-mailed me about a month later saying that he just hadn't had time to read it. That was in October and I haven't heard from him since.


The 4th producer was the charm. She loved it and wanted to pitch it to this particular network. I think I might have mentioned the particular network before, however now I find out that I'm not supposed to mention them by name until they actually start the filming (oops).

To make a long story short, when 'they' decide they want to make your book into a movie, they offer to buy the 'book rights.' Since mine is based on a true story and my family are the main characters they also buy the 'life rights.'


If I'm not mistaken - don't hold me to this, now - but if I understand correctly I get to work with the screenwriter. I use the term 'work with' very closely, because keep in mind I have sold the rights to that book for a movie so they have the creative freedom to change/add/mixup a few things. I am A-Okay with that.

Then they start casting in which I have absolutely no say whatsoever. I did tell, Anne (the producer) that when I was writing this I always pictured Gail O'Grady and Thomas Gibson playing the parts of the lead character.


I am just like everyone else. When it comes to reading I want to picture my characters as being above average in looks/wealth/etc. And that's exactly the same when it comes to movies.

I hope that answered your questions and thank you so much for your interest.

Have a great weekend!

Until next time,

Kathie

11 comments:

English Cottage in Georgia said...

Congrats - so wonderful that you are getting such rewarding feedback. I am so excited for you ...AND still very anxious to hear when your book is available for purchase.

~Crystal~ said...

Goodness...I am just overjoyed for you!

Miss Janice said...

Very interesting and I just read in the previous post that you have a contract! Awesome!! Now girl, I simply cannot wear the same thing twice in the same year--for a photo:) Thank you so much for you kind comments! I love that preppy outfit also:)

Beth Dunn said...

Can't wait to see your movie as I loved the book! xoxo
SC

Miss Janice said...

Kathy,
Where are you going...to Disney World???? I live about 3 hours {I think} from Orlando.

Bella Della said...

This is just so much fun.

Solo said...

Wow! Good to hear that lots of people like your job. And good job for you. ;D Keep it up Hill! ;D

Solo
Travel and Living
Job Hunter

DAM said...

I'm finally getting a chance to catch up on some blog reading and wow - so much stuff going on in your world. I can't wait to see how this unfolds for you...

Summer is a Verb said...

Sooo excited to say I know you! Can NOT wait! XXOO

The Classic Preppy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Classic Preppy said...

One of the readers of my blogs (also a friend) is a good friend of Thomas Gibson's. Her husband and TG were best friends growing up....I will pass this post along! Cheers! Liz