Thursday, April 15, 2010

Washington March of Dimes Gala

Josh Hoffman, March of Dimes National Ambassador 2010

Last night was the annual March of Dimes Gala at the beautiful National Building Museum. My year as Mrs. Missouri (1996) I chose the MOD as my platform in honor of our sweet little Jayson (now an angel), and other families that had experienced stillbirths, birth defects or premature birth.


Now that I live in Virginia, close to Washington, D.C. I try not to miss the National MOD Celebrity Cook-off and Gala held every spring.


Don't let my smile fool you. I had just listened to this precious, precocious 6-year-old child give a 6 minute speech - perfect speech, I might add- on why he was chosen as this years National Ambassador and it was all I could do to hold the tears in.

His mother, Melanie was five months pregnant with Josh when she went into an early labor.


"Do you wanna know something cool?" Josh asked the audience of over 600, all eyes fixed on him and hanging on every word. You could have heard a pin drop. "When I was born I weighed the same amount as 6 rolls of quarters. One pound nine ounces."

Not only is he an amazingly poised, articulate and a truly professional speaker (not just for his age but any age - and no disrespect to co-emcess Senators Baucus and Udall but he blew them out of the water) but Josh also maintains his own blog.

joshfightsforpreemies.wordpress.com

At the conclusion of his talk, he literally brought down the house. 24 hours later I am still in awe. Josh, you are this woman's hero and I plan to follow your blog throughout the remainder of your year.

Until next time,

Kathie




5 comments:

Beth Dunn said...

You are a good person Kathie! HUGS & KISSES
SC

Gracie Beth said...

I am doing march of dimes on the 24th I even have the fundraising widget on the engineer in heels and pearls blog!

Old Centennial Farmhouse said...

I am hoppin' on over to check out his blog...thanks for letting us in on this sweet little secret! You look great!
XOXO
Joni

Sherri said...

Such a special cause! I have a very special little "preemie" in my Daycare.My Gracen was less than 2 pounds and wasn't suppose to ever walk.I still tear up as she rides a bike, runs with her friends, and climbs monkey bars. She will go to kindergarten and leave me in the fall, which breaks my heart,but I send her off with such happiness for the future she has ahead of her.Thanks to the ones that make a difference for our babies!

Beth Dunn said...

Kathie where is your book? Is it on amazon yet? I'd like to write a review and promote you. Also I need a signed copy! I can tell you about the tv thing via email only. not publicly or I may lose the job lol
xoox
SC