Thursday, June 10, 2010

A whole lotta "I wishes"....

It happens every time I put in a CD of The Wailin Jennys. I get weepy. Their sweet, 3-part harmony, bluegrass-y sound takes me back to 19 again, which could explain why I have a bad case of the 'I wishes.' You know what I'm talking about. 'I wish I had done this' or 'I wish I done that.' What's funny is that I don't believe in 'regrets', 'looking back', or 'if only's'.


thewailinjennys.com
(Listen on youtube.com A Beautiful Dawn and Glorybound are my favorite)


But lately I've been thinkin'....

I wish I'd learned to play the bango. Or the drums.



I wish I'd gone to Nashville and tried to make it as a backup singer. (I'm not a good soloist/lead singer, but man, I can do a meaannn harmony).






I wish that I had planted my 17-year-old self on the roof of the Cruce Mansion and threatened to not come down until the El Dorado Springs City Council promised to raise funds to restore it instead of tearing it down. If I had pushed aside my fear that my parents would tan my hide for causing such a ruckus then maybe it would have started a revolution and it would still be standing for generations to enjoy.


I wish that I hadn't cared what my mother or mother-in-law thought and worn the red velvet wedding dress anyway!


I wish that I'd homeschooled my children and never let them get within an arms reach away from me. Now they're both grown and I wonder where the time has gone.



Oh don't worry about me. I'm fine. Really. If these are the only regrets I ever have in life I'll be lucky.


But maybe I should change my choice of music for a while. Something that makes me happy for all today offers.

Let me see...where is that Lady Gaga cd?



Until Next Time,



Kathie








7 comments:

Phyllis Lines said...

I still would like to learn to play the drums! Listen to The Canadian Tenors, I love their song Hallelujah.

Mr. T said...

I think the red dress would have been wonderful, you can wear it next time! For our second 50 years.

Marie said...

Lady, Gaga!!!!!!!! This is too funny!
Love,
Marie

{The Classy Woman} said...

You're so kind, you just made my day! I'm glad you are enjoying my blog. Thanks for reading and posting!

I just entered you twice-one for the comment/follow and one for adding me to your blog roll. :) Thank You!

Warmly,
Karla

Bringing Pretty Back said...

Kathie- I have to tell you this post was awesome! YES! What a way to put things. This is what I think .... no more I wishes for us! We will do what we want !
And I thik the red velvet red dress would have been perfect! I anted to wear a pink one... and if i had to do it over I would do it!
Have a pretty day,
Kristin

Beth Dunn said...

I'm loving Lady Gaga!
xoxo
SC

Ruthann said...

Love this post! I checked out The Wailin' Jennys...awesome! I've never heard of them before. That's my kind of music...bluegrass and harmonies...thanks for sharing!! Love the red dress..love that victorian mansion! I can't believe the city did not want to keep such a treasure!
Bless you Kathie!
Ruthann
Sugar Pie Farmhouse