Monday, July 12, 2010

Ready or not Waterford, Virginia...here I come!

Do you remember me telling you about my five year plan? Sure you do. The one where at the top of the list is me watching this crazy city getting smaller and smaller in my rearview mirror? Every night that first year I marked an 'X' on the calendar to signify that I was one day closer to freedom. Then as it often happens with life a 'wrench' was thrown into my plans.
But, isn't she the cutest little 'wrench' you've ever seen?
Now what? I still want to move to the country but I'm not getting too far away from this little beauty. I need to be able to get to her within at least an hour - two at the most. So, this weekend Mr. T. and I decided to take a short little road trip to scout out our next adventure and hopefully our final moving expedition. Harper's Ferry, West Virginia, we decided was as far North (or is West? Hmm) as we wanted to go.
The very first thing we did was drive through town to the banks of the Shenandoah River.


Yes, those footprints on the big flatrock are mine. I'm coming back from wading to the middle of the river and back. When we first got married and we'd travel from Mississippi to Missouri, Mr. T always stopped at at least one river so I could wade in it. It's one of my favorite things to do, which probably doesn't surprise y'all one bit, does it?

After I dried off we did a little sight-seein'. This is the Catholic Church in town. Isn't it gorgeous? The folks that attend here really, really love Jesus. How do I know this, you ask?


Because they not only have to climb alllll the way up these stairs.


But these stairs, too.


See what I mean?


Harpers Ferry, West Virginia
This part of the country is so beautiful and West Virginians are oh, so nice. But my family (on mama and daddy's side) have been Virginians since the 1700's and at the end of the day I feel such a connection to that land.
So, we turned around and came back. We passed through the darling little town of Hillsboro, Virgina. I remembered that Waterford was nearby so as the backseat driver I told Mr. T. 'where to go'. Soon we were in Waterford and the strangest thing happened. Mr. T and I fell in love...with Waterford.






So Waterford, Virginia! We'll see you in exactly three years!!











5 comments:

VA Gal said...

Oh, Waterford is such a cute place! I love it. Fredericksburg and Clifton are a couple of other cute towns in the outer ring of DC-ness, if that's the area you're checking out.

Old Centennial Farmhouse said...

I can't wait to follow you on your dream journey to living in the country...and yes, that little "wrench" is the cutest thing ever...except for maybe my little Levi!
XOXO
Joni

Sheena Simpson said...

We missed country life too. Its so great "going home" in the end. May your journey be exciting just not in a bad way. And don't worry your little "wrench" can always come for a week in the summer. Great memories are made that way.

Miss Janice said...

How cute is the "little wrench!" Waterford looks pretty nice though!

Javamom said...

She is so adorable.

And so are those historic homes in VA.

I love driving through VA and camping out there on our way to New England. It is simply one of the the most beautiful places to choose!