Monday, August 2, 2010

This is not the most flattering photo of me I know, but I've got a lot on my mind here in Hillbilly Debutante-ville.
Starting this week my life is fixin' to change. I know this. Is that good or bad? I guess that remains to be seen but let's just say I'm optimistic.

Tomorrow, (Tuesday August 3rd) my novel "False Victim" is released in book stores. You don't get to write a book and slap 'based on a true story' without proving that it is indeed, based on a true story. First, I had to have proof for my publisher. Then when I sold the movie rights I had to show proof to the producers. Most recently I had to prove this nightmare happened to Atlas Media in New York City who is preparing to film a documentary in the next few weeks to be shown during National Stalking Awareness Month in January.
I also just spent a full day with WUSA Channel 9 news reporter Brittany Morehouse who is doing a big piece on Tuesday nights 11pm news. I figure there'll probably be a whole lotta sweatin' goin' on in a certain Northern Virginia neighborhood, although they needn't worry. All names have been changed.

Back to the 'proof'. Lord knows I have plenty of it and I keep it all in a very, very safe place. I don't even keep it in my home for fear of a house fire. The family heirlooms aren't even as protected as much these items.


(re-visiting these documents is incredibly draining)


I get letters every day from readers wanting to know if I'm nervous or afraid that this book is coming out.

No.

I'm not afraid because of this book.


It's pure gold.
I won't give away the plot to the book for those who haven't read it, but...

when a person goes on the stand and swears on a Bible that they never, ever, ever contacted the school to make false child abuse allegations - no phone calls, no visits, and especially no letters - oh my no! not even one itty bitty letter,

but yet they did

well, I believe that's called perjury.
So no. I anticipate no problems in that area.
At this point I am trying to gear up for my first book signing, which is by no coincidence in Woodbridge, Virginia (where the story takes place). I understand that "Lynn" the books nemesis has left her husband, taken on her maiden name and moved up north so there's no concern about her gracing us with her presence, however, I am travelling with a body guard just to err on the side of caution.
I sit here with mixed emotions.
I'm filled with excitement for the release of the book and all that comes with it. Writing a novel is not for sissies - it's hard work and I am so happy to have accomplished this.
I'm nervous, too. Since my first novel is a psychological thriller is that what readers will expect from me from here on out? Or will "The Hillbilly Debutante Cafe" put me in touch with a whole new set of readers? Or both? I suppose time will tell. Besides I should stop thinking so much and take time to enjoy this.
One thing remains constant. YOU! From the moment I put pen to paper, to finding a publicist, publisher, selling the movie rights - YOU have been there encouraging me, lifting me up and leaving the sweetest comments.
It's only fitting that you come along on my tour and everything else all 'this' entails.
I promise to post pictures, to post often and not leave out any of the details - both good and not-so-good.
Through Hillbilly Debutante I have made so many new friends. Some of you have gone on to be Facebook friends as well. You've become such an integral part of my life.
I can't thank you enough, but I can take you with me. So, put on your seat belt sit back and let's go. My goal is to meet as many of you as possible on this journey.
If you're in my neck of the woods feel free to join us at Florianna Restaurant on 17th and Q in DuPont Circle in D.C. Tuesday, August 3rd starting at 6 pm.
Kathie



7 comments:

Anthony and Katrina said...

yay! congrats! have fun! :) or try to :)

~Crystal~ said...

You just answered some of the many questions I have been wondering about. I'm so proud to call you "friend." And look forward to this journey. I've got my seat belt on. :)

PARTY OF FIVE said...

I am so excited for you! Can't wait to see you when you come to Dallas! It has been a long long long time! (:

Sherri Norman said...

As I was reading every page of the book, a part of me worried about you.Made me a little nervous to think "she" would probebly read it too! Took guts to write the truth, so glad you did!

Vickie said...

I'm with Crystal! Not only do I have my seatbelt on....I have my bags packed for a great, exciting adventure. Look forward to meeting you someday soon!

Nezzy said...

Woohoo...up and goin'!!! The more I read the happier I am that you will have a body guard to be safe. A good writer can stretch their writing in many directions. Girl, your fallin' into that category.

Congratulations and have a wonderful tour.

God bless ya sweetie!!!

Karla @ {The Classy Woman} said...

First of all, congrats on your book and upcoming signing! Yes, writing any type of book is not for 'sissies', it IS a lot of hard work.

Since we are both Authors, my hubby and I have to laugh when many celebrities like Paris Hilton claim to have written a book, because most use ghost writers to write it for them. That is not the same thing as writing and editing it all yourself from start to finish. I'm sure everything will go wonderfully at your signing-good luck!

Thank you for commenting on my Table Etiquette post. I agree with your thought regarding no.15. It would definitely be rude to complain about a meal at a restaurant, especially when someone else is footing the bill and treating you. It sounds like you may have experienced this yourself?

However, I have to disagree with you on the statement of 'under any circumstances'. Your health comes first and if you received a really undercooked piece of meat or you found glass in your salad (which happened to me a few years ago), you should definitely speak up and have it corrected.

Nobody should EVER be expected to eat something that could make them ill in the name of using proper etiquette.