Thursday, February 10, 2011

Believe me when I say I've been busier than a one-legged man in a butt-kickin' contest.
But I love it.
What I'm not lovin' is this weather. I hate being cold. I really shouldn't complain because DC/Virginia/Maryland are tucked into this little dry pocket and all around us from Maine to Mississippi across to Texas, Missouri, and Oklahoma and up north to Minnesota and Michigan everyone is buried in snow. (Knock on wood, we don't have any snow at all.)
Even our 30 degree temps don't compare to some of the 16 and 17 degree days that some of y'all have been experiencing. I talked to my mother on the phone in Southwest Missouri and they were having a 'heat wave' - the mercury had climbed to a whole 6 degrees which was quite a bit warmer than the -11 they'd had earlier in the morning. BBbbbrrrrrr.
(But then with all the hot air comin' out of D.C. it's no wonder we don't have a lot of snow.)
Watching the hard winter across the country reminds me of when Jay and I lived on the ranch and I never knew what kind of critter I'd wake up to find traipsing through my house. Sometimes I'd find 'remnants' of whatever animal it happened to be before I actually saw it.
One frigid February morning in 1988 right about sun-up, I sleepily made my trek to the kitchen to start breakfast, and before I reached the dining room threshold I saw a teeny, tiny little cow patty. I went from room to room but couldn't seem to find the culprit. When I went into Rachael's room the calf was curled up as close to her as she could be, her little head nestled in the back crook of Rachael's knee. It was precious.
Imagine the delight of a 3 year old girl waking up to 'kisses' from this sweet little creature.
(Gives a whole new meaning to the term 'cowlick', huh?).
Jay explained to Rachael that the calf's mother didn't want it so we'd have to take care of it. With an amaing maternal instict and skill that I'd come to recognize and admire 23 years later, Rachael immediately took charge. She named the calf 'Sondra' and insisted on holding the bottle during the many feedings.
Weaning time was difficult but necessary as "Sondra" became so attached to Rachael. Poor Rachael cried her heart out when Sondra was moved to another pasture away from the house. Poor Sondra didn't understand that at 125 pounds and growing she couldn't just run up to Rachael and 'love' on her without hurting her.
Both of them grieved.
But as little girls do, they grow up, move on to other things.
Sondra, on the other hand remained a part of our family until she died of natural causes at age 12.
Hmm....it's amazing how just a little talk about the weather can take you down memory lane.
Til next time,
Kathie

10 comments:

Bringing Pretty Back said...

Kathie, How sweet was that story! awwwwwww! Most people do NOT have baby cows in the house! Haha!
When I went to the gym this morning it was 4 below zero! brrrr! I am ready for spring!
KATHIE TRUITT! Get some pretty pajamas! I am taking my makeup off! ( :
Have a pretty day!
AND NIGHT!
Kristin

Gracie Beth said...

I am SO jealous your daughter had a pet cow!

Old Centennial Farmhouse said...

Kathie, you have got the BEST stories in that head of yours. This is a sweet, sweet memory, isn't it?
XOXO
Joni

megan said...

Oh that is SO cute Kathie. It would have made a good Kodak moment!!

Farrah said...

I actually did laugh out loud at your first sentence, Miss Kathie!

Martha Ruth said...

Hi Kathie~

I saw your story over at Kristin's blog (Bringing Pretty Back) and thought I'd pop over and follow you!

I just happen to be one of the people living outside of that nice weather pocket that you're experiencing. As a matter of fact, I just posted yesterday about how "done" I am with winter!

I absolutely loved the story about your daughter and the calf and I love even more that she chose to name her Sondra. As a child, I'm sure I would have gone with something much less creative, like Bossie!

Stop by and say hello any time!

Martha from A Real (Upstate) NY Housewife

Beth Dunn said...

Oh my gosh that is SO Cute. I'd love to see Sondro's picture
xoxo
sC

Megan said...

What a wonderful story!! : ) That's so cool that you sold your story to Lifetime! I definitely hope that I see it!!

Nezzy said...

This was a precious incite of what life on the farm can be! Sweet story...ain't nothin' quite like a girl and her calf! Heeheehe!!!

Good news Ozark sister. This mornin' was a whoppin' 27 degrees, a large improvement of the -ll a week ago and I hear rumors of 70 Thursday but we all know how the weather here can change at the blink of an eye!!!

God bless ya and have a marvelous Valentine's Day sweeite!!!

Nezzy said...

Oh honey, I'm sorry...I've caused quite the stir with my last post.

No, my heartbreak has nothin' to do with Angel...I would of posted that. There is an update on Angel just below my last post.

Ya know the ones you love the most can hurt the deepest and my hands are tied in this situation leavin' me to pray and wait. I do not sit or wait well...just too dang spastic!!!!

God bless ya sweetie and have a fantastic day!!! :o)