Wednesday, April 27, 2011

dreams of a young girl...and Princess Diana

I was all of 19 when this picture was taken. November 27th, 1981 to be exact. And let's just go ahead and tackle the big elephant in the room. Yes, I know those are some crazy, ugly bridesmaid dresses - but at the time? Oh my. ALL I wanted in life was a Victorian-style wedding, and my mama made sure her little princess got what she wanted. And of course Daddy paid for it. Please keep in mind this was the 80's and I'll also have you know this girl's turn-of-the-century-style-wedding was THE social event of El Dorado Springs, Missouri. So there.




I had no clue what I wanted to do or be at this point in my life. All I knew was that I was madly in love with Jay Truitt. Trying desparately to figure it all out one night I just threw my hands up in the air and in a half-hearted spirit prayed, "God....I don't know what I want to accomplish or do with my life. But I do know that I want an EXCITING one!" I fell asleep that night never really giving it a second thought.



If what He has given me from a 'half-hearted' attitude is any measure then I am sure glad I didn't pray it at full scale because I couldn't have handled any more - EXCITEMENT has become my middle name. Some of you have asked to share my 'past' life and I am more than happy to concur.



And in homage to the upcoming royal wedding...I've decided to start with my brief, but sweet, in-person encounter with the late Princess Diana.





And although a LOT has changed since this country girl prayed for glamour-packed existence, one thing remains the same - I am still madly in love with that Jay Truitt.

4 comments:

William Knapp said...

Where do I post this so that you will see it???

You can't buy loyalty they say,
I bought it though the other day.
You can't buy friendship, tried and true.
Well just the same, I bought that too.

I made my bid and on the spot,
Bought love and faith and a whole job lot
Of happiness. So all in all,
The purchase price was fairly small.

I bought a simple, trusting heart,
That gave devotion from the start.
If you think these things are not for sale,
Buy a brown-eyed pup with a wagging tail.

Author Unknown

wmknapp55@gmail.com

I Do Declare said...

Yes - where's the Di story???

reneewriter65 said...

I LOVE your wedding pic! Still like Victorian dresses as well. One of these days, I need to get to England to visit my friends and find some vintage Victorian clothes. : )

Gracie Beth said...

YOU MET PRINCESS DIANA? WHERE IS THE STORY!