Monday, July 25, 2011

Part Two: How I live a simple 'country' life in the city.....

This is part two of my response to an e-mail I received from Miss Gina out west. She and her family have relocated from a very small, rural town to a big city and was asking my advice on how to adjust.  Well Gina, first and foremost I want you to remember that while you have been thrust into a world that measures your 'coolness' by how fancy your 'ride' is, how expensive your clothes are, and how massive your house is,  your life is not defined by these things. It will be hard, but don't lose sight of who you are and where you're from. Keep a firm grip on those small-town values you grew up with. I'll be the first to admit that at times I've lost sight of these things, but thank God for friends 'back home' that remind me from time to time to never forget that I'm still and always be a 'small-town girl' at heart. So, here we go:

First of all - and I admit this was the hardest for me - don't be a slave to fashion. I was like a kid in a candy shop when I saw all the wonderful clothes I was surrounded by and I still have to have my credit card yanked away from me reign myself in.
Fact is, at the end of the day, nothin' beats my old tattered jeans and worn-out cowboy boots. They're like long-lost friends. Yep, people look at me real funny when I wear 'em, but that's okay. If they don't 'get it', then they just don't get it.

Kind of like my house. When I first moved here I decorated my house just like I thought I was 'supposed' to. It was beautiful but when you decorate from someone else then you're really not going to be happy.
 
So, when I moved to my new neighborhood I decorated the way I wanted to. True, some people don't get my way of putting fresh roses in mason jars with a ribbon tied around the top, but that's okay. Those that 'get' my creativity love it! Those that don't? Who cares? It's my house! And it makes me happy!


Surround yourself with things that you find beautiful.
 

Create quiet places throughout your home....


and warm, homey spaces...


Whenever possible, get off the beaten path....

take the road less travelled...

Give yourself time...while there's no place like home, you will acclimate to your surroundings!

As for the rest of you readers - how many of you have had to relocate to the city? What did YOU do to make the transition from country to city life. OR, are you a city person and you had to adjust to country life? We'd love to hear your perspective!

Until next time,

Kathie

10 comments:

Marydon said...

Excellent share, Kathie.
Have a great week ~
TTFN ~
Marydon

Cher' Shots said...

What a great entry ~ chock-full of super advice!
'hugs from afar'

Bobbi Jo said...

Enjoyed this post and thank you for the reminders. Truly needed to hear this. Great pictures! Hugs, Bobbi Jo

trash talk said...

Growing up in a small town, then moving to a big city was a culture shock for me. Going from knowing everybody to knowing no one was the hardest adjustment. I like being called by my name when I go grocery shopping or to the dry cleaners, but after time it happens.
BTW...I'm just one generation outta overalls...so shoes are optional at my home!
Deb

Becky said...

I'm a transplanted country girl and I agree...find what makes you happy and don't worry about the neighbors.

reneewriter65 said...

Gotta 'cowgirl up' every now and then with tattered jeans and a good ol' pair of boots! And there ain't nothin' (yes, I used improper English) wrong with putting a rose in a Mason jar. Then again, we grew up in the same town so I think you have FABulous style. Love ya girly...hope you're well!! :o)

Bring Pretty Back said...

SO true. WHY do we feel we need to decorate the way "they" think we should. Or do anything we think we should because what will people think. makes no sense!
I love your style!
Have a pretty day!
Kristin

C'est moi Claudette said...

Love your style Kathie.
I'm a city girl transformed to a country girl. It's been 5 yrs. now and I would NEVER go back. I like the peace and quiet, the river, the dogs are free to roam and only 2 neighbours that I never see : )
When I get ant's in my pants, I jump in the car and leave for the day, get my fill of the city and drive home. About an hour away. We went from a 4,000 sq. ft. house to 1,000. So easy so sweet. It's all pastel and lots of pink frilly things. My men don't mind one bit.
Loved this post.
xoxoxo

Emily Sanford said...

Hey, this is what I blog about--trying to keep the balance of what I loved about rural life while I live in the big city, and try to make the best of both worlds. Great post--keep it up!

Chinese Clothing said...



You'll be able to very easily discover the vogue dresses around the community retailers Repair Shop Software in addition to on-line. Online shopping for dresses is currently well-liked these days. You will discover typically numerous on the internet outfits Chinese shirts sites readily available which delivers the best designer vogue clothes at very low costs. You can also locate wonderful deals accessible on the garments on some web pages.