Friday, March 23, 2012

Dixie Road Trip

 This Dixie Road Trip found me about 30 miles west of Washington, DC in Aldie -the heart of Virginia Horse Country.

I almost squealed with delight as I turned down this little gravel lane.



Barn Sale


And isn't this the cutest barn you've ever seen?

The wicker furniture looked so inviting, as if it was just waiting for me to sit down and bask in the sunlight.

This sign was conveniently propped to where it was the first thing we saw when we walked in.


Cute, quaint, shabby-chic eye candy no matter where I turned.


Lucinda Michell, propieter and artist, designed the below table by removing the original table top and replacing it with an old clock.

Lovely.



And don't you just love the way they left the loose straw on the floor? 
Very charming.


Lucinda got the idea to hold a Barn Sale when several years ago she helped a friend open a shop in Winchester, Virginia. She loved the thrill of the hunt so much that she started collecting vintage furniture, adding her own personal, unique touch to each piece. The accessories she sells are new but refurbished to make them look old.


L to R:  Lucinda, her sister Melissa (my kindred spirit with the cowboy boots), me and the sisters' friend, Kimberly. Kimberly's husband Bart who was snapping the picture was kept hopping unloading furniture.

It was a wonderful day. Sunny and a mild 75 degrees.

The only painful part? Gas prices. Yikes!



Total gas bill (gulp).


If any of my readers live in the Northern Virginia/DC area and are lookin' to get out to the country for the fresh air and gorgeous views, head straight west on Highway 50. Turn left on New Mountain Road and follow the signs. You'll turn left about 1/2 mile up.

Just 12 days away from the red cowboy boots giveaway.

Til Next Time,

Kathie

6 comments:

randommusingslady said...

That looks like so much fun! I love vintage things, even if I have no place to put them right now. lol Think vintage Americana would mix with Enlgish decor? Cuz that's what I have in mind for my own place. I gotta come hang out with you girl! You always hit the coolest places!

Lilly Forever! said...

Kathie - what a wonderful adventure. It made me miss Old Ashburn. I would fill up my tank, grab a starbucks -coffee/bagel and start out for a mornings adventure. I would end up in Waterford, Middleburg, Point of Rocks and Lucketts.Usually finding a great buy! Have you been to the antique stores in Lucketts? It was wonderful 8 years ago - when I lived in NOVA. Now the "city slickers"...lol...have probably taken over and jacked up the prices. Thanks for the post that brought back so many memories. Enjoy your weekend!!!

Beth Dunn said...

Oh my gosh that looks so incredible! I love the "your husband called" sign. That is hysterical
xoxo
SC

paige said...

i LOVE the clock face table!! what a great piece!!
love your boots :)

lucinda said...

It was wonderful to meet you, Kathie! You started the "1st day of our 1st sale" with so much fun energy...thank you! I'm looking forward to your booking signing at our next sale April 13-15 or May 11-13. What do you think?

Peachy McNicoll said...

Ladies...mark your calendars: May 11 - 13th for the next Aldie Barn Sale. I scored a great coal bucket at a great price at the last one. Lucinda's barn is a great addition alongside the other great one's like Stylish Patina, Chartreuse and Company and of course Old Lucketts Store (not a barn but so great!) Details at: http://www.facebook.com/pages/AldieBarnSale/424889280861916