Monday, April 2, 2012

Estate Sales, Ebay and Pageants - Oh My!

So, if you've been following me for any length of time, you know my personal motto is 'Make Living a Wonderful Art'.

In doing so, I've made some big changes in my life. Probably the gutsiest change is with my wardrobe. I just purged my closet. With the exception of one charcoal navy shift dress with matching cardigan (for funerals) most of my clothes are either Cowgirl Chic, or Vintage/Vintage Inspired.
Think June Cleaver 1950's circle dresses/skirts complete with crinoline (abundant on e-bay). Picture 1950 farm dresses and 1940's and 50's British land girl dresses. Bloomers by Magnolia Pearl!
 I also kept a few modern pieces that can be worn with ballet flats or cowboy boots, or with the tying of a scarf, or the clip/pinning of a broach - voila - what is new looks old.  

I'm wierd that way - I've always loved old things.

I wish I could say my love of 'old things' is relegated to clothing but that would be a lie.

I don't really think this table is all that old. I spotted it at a flea market. I tried to walk away - really, I did.


And it's not exactly new. But someone else had used it - probably lots of 'someone else's' which makes it 'old', wouldn't you say? Add to the fact that it's white, chippy and peely. Heavenly.

So, I paid my $5 - yes, I said $5 - placed it ever-so-gently in the back of my truck, and brought it home.
 This table is a lot heavier than it looks, plus it's very awkward, but I was able to climb into the truck bed, gently hoist it to the ground and carry it up the front stairs - all by myself.
 At the very top step I lost my balance but was feeling downright cocky when I caught myself with one hand grasping to the side of the house and still balancing the table with the other hand....when suddenly I lost my grasp and there went my precious, $5 table tumbling down the stairs and crashing into several pieces onto the concrete drive.
But before Jay was home and knew what had happened - i.e. before he was home and found out that I'd been 'junking' and brought something else home I didn't really need he didn't think I needed, I'd grabbed the hammer and a few nails and had that table back together in no time flat. He was none the wiser - until 3 months later when he had to walk through my pink/white girly, romantic sitting room to bring in the Christmas tree.

Anyway, back to my big wardrobe change -
I wear a lot of these now -


Go ahead and laugh! You know you want one.


And this tulle skirt? Got one in pitch black and another in pure white!  And yes, I wear them out in public! Do people laugh?
I dunno.
Don't much care.

I'm too busy havin' fun -


Like emceeing events with Miss Missouri.
(I'm the short one on the right with the tulle skirt, funky belt and ruby red lipstick).

If you're like me and you love vintage clothing, then I hope you'll click on the 'shop' button at the top of the blog. I've been collecting for about 7 years, anticipating my own 'place'.

I have some beautiful collections, but I have to tell you that this one is my all-time favorite:



This is an early 1960's jacket and dress. Gals, this ensemble is in absolutely perfect, pristine condition. The jacket is heavily lined, with 3/4 sleeves.


and the dress itself has tiny yellow sequins stitched around the collar, around the bodice, and on the hem.



As I said, this outfit is absolutely divine and if I wore a size 6  (measurements are a modern day 6) I would keep it for myself.

Another passion of mine is aprons! If I didn't have enough to keep me busy already I love to sew aprons.

I love, love, love this combination of pink and lime green!




I have a few more in the shop but after they're gone I don't know if I'll have any more.

Between my book tour, managing my blog/shop, starting my next novel and filming for my show - oops! did I just say that? 'Filming for my show'?

I better stop there - I've let too much slip out already.

I do hope though, you'll take the time to have a look-see of all we have. Be sure and stop 'in' the Shabby Apple, too. They have wonderful vintage-inspired clothes and you can even shop according to your body type!

Now, before you go headin' outta here, drop me a line and let me know what YOU are doing to make YOUR life a wonderful art. I want ALL the details now, ya hear?
Til Next Time,

Kathie

14 comments:

fGs said...

I've been changing my wardrobe as well! You look so cute!

Your little slip sounds exciting. It's a good time to be you!

Anonymous said...

Very cool! I am a devoted scrapbooker, showcasing memories in a beautiful way. I am also a beginning beader, learning how to make lovely bracelets from Swarovski crystals and other beads!
Trisha Hamilton

AlphaBetsy said...

I have been slowly but surely working on moving my style in a new direction too. Going more bohemian, and I like it.

I love your tulle skirts. I would love to add several to my own wardrobe.

Unique Weddings said...

This are really cute. Thanks for posting.

Jenn said...

It was recommended by Nezzie that I pay you a visit--I'm so glad I did!! I love how you are changing your wardrobe!! I wish I could do that right now-- but I'm on a roll--and will do it as soon as I drop my last 30 lbs!!

Glad I stopped by!!

Cheers, Jenn
http://www.wine-n-chat.com

Chanda said...

I love dresses too Kathie. I spend my summer days in them and do everything here on the farm in a sundress. Feeding the cows, milking the goats etc. Love my aprons too, still wear one most days and I always get a commet from visitors when they see me coming to greet them and I still have my aoron on. Usually how they haven't seen one in years. Love the feeling they evoke when I tie one one. My motto this summer id....tie one on....(an apron that is and light one up.....(a patio fire that is). Haha I have voved to slow down and take it a little easier this summer and enjoy this beautiful place we have worked so hard to make.
Love the tulle skirts you have. I have one I have never wore yet, I bought it because it was just so dang cute, Maybe I'll wear it for the first movie night this summer. We are showing movies on the side of the barn wall this summer on Sunday nights. Like an old fashioned drive in, only we sit in lawn chairs and everyone brings a snack to share. Good farm fun. Sometimes in between the moo's, the whineys, the baa's and the children playing, you can hear the movie. They may think I am crazy though. I love style and statment like you do. I seem to live in an area here in Mid-mo where camouflage seems to be ok to wear in public. Yuk.
Love your style Kathie.

Cher' Shots said...

I love your tulle skirts! If I were thinner I'd join you, without giving a care what people thought. However; right now I wouldn't make it past a mirror in one! Even the thought of it scares me!
'hugs from afar'

Mary Aalgaard, Play off the Page said...

What a fun blog. Awesome clothes. And, book debut, to boot!

Play off the Page

MouthyBarberMom said...

I just bought a vintage inspired floral print dress to wear for Easter. I am a jeans, Gap tee, and Converse kind of girl. I also bought a pair of vintage (read 1980's) pair of yellow jeans with a blue floral pattern on them. I'm slowly starting to break away from my "safe" wardrobe.

Michele said...

i learned about you from Nezzy. love your style! xo

Penny @ The Comforts of Home/Flea Market Makeovers said...

Your show? How exciting! Can I be a guest :-)?

Love your personal style....I am in the process of going through some life changes and wardrobe restyling is one of them. Thanks for the inspiration!
Hugs,
Penny

Mrs4444 said...

I'm working on making a difference in the world by advising a small group of middle schoolers who volunteer, as well as pitching in wherever I can.

I'm looking for a dress for a June wedding, so I'm off to poke around in your shop! :)

GerryART said...

I already have my cowboy boots, now to find just the right tulle to go with it.
Oh, I think I can find my belt.
Fashion Tips are always welcome.
hugs
Gerry

Teresa - in the Middle Side of Life said...

love love love the clothes! that dress might fit on one side of my body but that's about it. hehe - good thing i really don't look good in gold.

i'll have to check out your shop. i love vintage stuff.