Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Your Etiquette Question Answered

Q:  Dear Hillbilly Debutante,

     I  sent a sympathy card to one of my mother's friends whose husband recently passed away. I addressed the card to "Mrs. John Smith", however my co-worker says that once a woman is widowed she uses the name, "Mrs. Susan Smith." Who is correct?

A.  Actually, both of you.  But. *Tradition states that she retains her title of "Mrs. John Smith" until she remarries, however in recent years "Mrs. Susan Smith" has become acceptable and is not a breach of etiquette.

With that said, allow me to share my opinion on why traditional is 'better'. 'Mrs. Susan Smith' seems too 'abrupt'. There will be many cruel reminders in the days ahead that life as she knew it is no longer. I would leave it up to her to decide when she is ready to move on.

And of course, "Mrs. John Smith" is more formal. My number one rule? If in doubt, always side on the err of formality.

*If you are from the south always use the traditional rule of etiquette.


Anonymous said...

Kathy- As a dear little lady from my church used to say after her husband of many years had passed. Honey, I am still married. Just because he went home first, doesn't change that.

Becky said...

I agree with the comment from Anonymous! He will always be her husband, even when he is somewhere else.

Sharon said...

Maybe it's the Southerner in me, or maybe it's that I can't make sense out of a version that makes me my own wife. Either way, if I "can't" for some reason go with Mrs. (his first and last names), then I'd rather go with "Ms."

windows 7 ultimate key said...

Been imagining about offering up your Android windows 7 anytime upgrade key telephone for any Microsoft Windows Mobile phone? Well, there is now an application for that. An application termed Swap to Home microsoft office for mac 2011 product key windows Cellphone popped up from the Google Participate in keep on Wednesday. The publisher? Microsoft Company.