Thursday, December 27, 2012

Bye-Bye Dixie Red...

She has been a major 'character' on my blog for years.. Our famous ' Southern Living Dixie Road Trips' earned me a gift and thank-you note from 
'Southern Living Magazine.'



My beloved 'Dixie-Red'

She has hauled antiques, junk and new furniture, not to mention horses and dogs. Not only has Dixie-Red carried me safely to book signing and tours all over the South and Mid-west, but she has been my main ride to church, shopping and literally every country club in the DC area (which made for interesting conversation at times).
 She's carried the most precious cargo ever for the past 3 and 1/2 years - my beautiful granddaughter.

                         But all good things must end. 

     It's really not feasible to drive a truck in the city. I don't deal in        antiques too much anymore (stay tuned though for a MAJOR sale this spring) and the gas was getting way too expensive for my road trips. 

When I bought Dixie-Red she had only 600 miles on her. Now? 126,000! She has never caused a bit of trouble. To this day I'd drive her to California and back. But instead, she is going from Virginia (Washington DC metro area) back to the family farm in Southwest Missouri. 

She will get to do that for which she was created - drive through green pastures, carry round hay bales and sit beneath a beautiful sunset while her new owner makes a final check on his herd. 
She will be driven through mud deep enough to spin her tires and force her new driver to flip it into 4-wheel drive - something that literally never happened while she was a city truck.
 She will finally know what it's like to open up and 'stretch' her motor on an open highway every single day of her life. 

Dixie-Red will be going to the land of 
"The Hillbilly Debutante Cafe" 
in El Dorado Springs, Missouri.

She will be now be owned/driven by a true-blue cowboy - not an old washed-up country girl desperately trying to hold on for dear life to her past.

 I swore I 'heard' a sigh of relief as my husband backed her out of our paved city drive for the final time, put her in drive and headed south. 

So long to bumper-to-bumper traffic and horrific road-rage.
Hello to red dirt roads and two-lane highways.

Now, I need your help.
What do I name the new hillbilly debutante-mobile? 


Now, you know I have to have a cute name for my new ride.
 Any ideas? My mind is blank! The only name I will NOT consider is 'the Banana'. Ugh! 

But she really does need a catchy, cute name. So put your creative thinking caps on!
And there just might be a little 'sumpin-sumpin' for you if yours is the one I choose.

And oh! If you ever find yourself in El Dorado Springs, Missouri and you see my Dixie-Red, give her a honk and wave.

And tell her I miss her.

Until next time,
Kathie

10 comments:

tawn said...

Well, she looks like a "pixie" to me.

Mona said...

Tweetie.

B. WHITTINGTON said...

While I have no names for your yellow bomb, I think it's just too snazzy. Love it. Good luck with it. May it be as good a car as your truck was a truck!
Blessings, Barb
PS Maybe a Dixie Pixie.

MouthyBarberMom said...

Yellow Zippy!!

Lindsey said...

The Lemon Wedge!

9405018--Pat said...

Miss Sunshine
PAT H

Farrah said...

Sugarbaker

trash talk said...

I love a good challenge and since I'm supposed to be taking down Christmas, but...!
How about The Dixie Chicken, My Little Chickadee, Mini-Me, or my two personal faves...Chicklette and Miss Clariol? Have a wonderful new year's eve with your chargees! Sounds like a fun filled night with giggles a'plenty!
Deb
P.S. Just had to add one more...Coop d'Ville. LOL

Becky said...

The new car should be "minion"...it looks just like a minion from Despicable Me.

AshTreeCottage said...

Love, love, love your mini! We have one too and named her Beatrix after my beloved Beatrix Potter. I'm thinking of names. Try going on to North American Motoring for some ideas. It's a form of minis. Which direction do you want to go? British or Southern? I am fond of Chickadee. Whatever you choose, it's adorable and I know you will love it as much as I love Beatrix!!

Big Hugs,
Susan and Bentley