Thursday, December 20, 2012

Will YOU commit to this in 2013?

 Last week was full of heartbreak.
 First Violet. 
One of my best friends a few days later. 

Then add the Newtown, Connecticut event and it was truly the week from Hades for our entire nation.

Instead of memorials, or trying to make sense of all that has happened, I've decided to honor my loved one and the victims of the school shooting by campaigning for my friends/followers/readers to commit to participating in
365 Days of Random Acts of Kindness.

Of course you don't have to wait, you know - and I know a lot of you make this a part of your every day life, anyway!

But starting January 1, 2013 I will leave a short comment of acts of kindness that I know you all have either witnessed from someone else/something you've done, or even a kindness that has been shown to you!

You can leave them in the comments or email them to me.

I will also list some ideas of things we can all do! 

Let's all commit to making this world a gentler, kinder place. That may seem a daunting - even impossible task, but it isn't! 
I'm reminded of how our whole nation's demeanor changed after 
9-11. Road age came to a halt. People held the door open for each other, smiled a bit more, looked out for each other. And then...it trailed off and everyone went back to their old ways. 

Let's not let that happen this time. 
Let's get in the habit of going beyond being kind and actually doing little, special things for people. 

I hope you'll make that commitment to join me in doing this.

9 comments:

Becky said...

You've got my commitment sister!

Kathie Truitt said...

Thank you, Becky!!! I'm in Virginia, you're in Oklahoma...this is good. Hopefully we can spread this out ALL over.

Anonymous said...

Bought snacks &drinks for a couple guys at the 7-11 in Dallas last week on my way to work and got a gift card for my favorite 7-11 lady, Elizabeth, at the store by my house. Feels good to be blessed and to be able to pass on the blessings. I'm in! ~Random Lady : )

Farrah said...

I'm in!

Brandi Cunningham said...

I'm with you Kathie & will get it spreading out here in DE. This is something we do as a family. It helps teach kids to do for others; more people need to learn to have compassion & what service to others is all about. My girls, 8 & 14, have even gotten their friends involved in Random Acts of kindness. It really is contagious.....spread the love!! Thank you for doing this-you are awesome. Mind if I share w/my friends/family?

AlphaBetsy said...

I will commit too. I will spread the kindness and love in Ohio.

Kathie Truitt said...

Brandi - OF COURSE you may share! This is a MOVEMENT...LET's CHANGE THE WORLD!!

Sharon said...

Committed! Mine for today: welcoming yet another taker for some of the fine red oak firewood I LEFT after the felling of a tree--exactly so as to be able to share with the greatest possible number of families.

Beth Dunn said...

I love random acts of kindness. Allegra lives very close to Newton. She left a gift card on someone's windshield. I want to do it too! But I can't always give $$ acts of kindness. But I'd love ideas
xoxo
SC