Monday, June 16, 2014

Simplicity

You know how it is when you're moving. Packing, purging, packing, more purging, packing, digging things out of the trash that you've changed your mind about purging, and then more packing.


I found this little poem tucked between a few pages of my grandmother's diary that I think says it all.




Simplicity

Dear Lord I ask one thing of thee

The gift of true simplicity,

A cheery fire, a rocking chair,

Enough to eat, enough to wear,

A little cottage built upon a spot that I can call my own

A garden and a shady tree, a dog to keep me company.

A pot that's big enough to hold enough to fill another bowl.

A welcome mat that's out to all, whenever neighbors come to call.

A bed, a lamp, a book or two,

An old friend and perhaps a new,

And since all things are mine in Thee, then this is quite enough for me.

Grace E. Easley




2 comments:

B. WHITTINGTON said...

Thanks for sharing the precious poem. I'm sharing. It's all we really need as we zip through this world collecting treasures from all corners of the world. We all need to cut down and cut back and be present with life as it cmes.
Again thanks. Loved reading this. Barb

Deb~in~Denver said...

What a sweet poem. I am trying to scale back and lighten our load. The thought of moving scares the bejeebers out of me, we've been in this house for 34+ years and have filled every corner. I will keep this poem in mind as I sift through belongings.

Deb
xo